ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused about this English test requirements

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sa_yaz
Newly Registered

Confused about this English test requirements

Post by sa_yaz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:35 pm

Hello All

I've read the threads regarding the english language requirement but i can't get a definitive answer

I'm applying for my ILR in Dec and not sure if i need to take this test or not. I've never had to do an english language test as the Points based calculator gave me the requirement points. My initial application was in 2010 and my extension was in 2012. On both occasions, the PBC awarded me the points

Now, my qualification (Btech) is no longer on the PBC (not on Tier 2 dropdown either) and as such, no points for english.

1. I don't mind taking the test, but do i really have to? I'd much rather use the £150 test fee for a weekend away.

2. If i don't need to do the test, what should i do?

The tier 2 dropdown list gives me the option to choose a Bachelor Qualification and i'll get the points for english. But i'm nervous about that as CW may not know that Bech is EXACTLY the same as Bachelors.

Penny for your thoughts?

Kmaj007
BANNED

Re: Confused about this English test requirements

Post by Kmaj007 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:21 pm

BTech is not equivalent to Bachelors, but if BTech is done here in UK and the term time was longer than 1 yr than its ample for satisfying english requirement, you can always send a covering letter.

Do consult a lawyer

guaravd

Re: Confused about this English test requirements

Post by guaravd » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:13 pm

sa_yaz wrote:Hello All

I've read the threads regarding the english language requirement but i can't get a definitive answer

I'm applying for my ILR in Dec and not sure if i need to take this test or not. I've never had to do an english language test as the Points based calculator gave me the requirement points. My initial application was in 2010 and my extension was in 2012. On both occasions, the PBC awarded me the points

Now, my qualification (Btech) is no longer on the PBC (not on Tier 2 dropdown either) and as such, no points for english.

1. I don't mind taking the test, but do i really have to? I'd much rather use the £150 test fee for a weekend away.

2. If i don't need to do the test, what should i do?

The tier 2 dropdown list gives me the option to choose a Bachelor Qualification and i'll get the points for english. But i'm nervous about that as CW may not know that Bech is EXACTLY the same as Bachelors.

Penny for your thoughts?
Firstly B.tech in India stands for Bachelor of Technology and I presume your original degree certificate will state this.

Secondly if you were awarded points for this in your last 2 extensions then you shouldn't have any issues this time too. You can select following option in the PBS calculator:
Country of award:India, State:state of awarding body, Qualification:Professional bachelor degree, Course length: 3yrs etc, Course subject: IT/Computer Science

Just to be on a safer side, seek a professional advice. If someone on this forum has go his/her ILR using B.tech then please share your experiences.