ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa to apply and English requirement?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

irfan khan

Visa to apply and English requirement?

Post by irfan khan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:43 pm

Hi

I am currently on Tier 1 General and I will be applying for ILR on Dec , 2015. My wife has recently joined me (on April, 2015) from Pakistan as Tier 1 General Dependent. Can some one please clarify following:

1- Which visa she has to apply to extend her leave?
2- Does she has to pass English test?

Urgent replies will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Visa to apply and English requirement?

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:04 pm

She can continue to extend as PBS Dependent until she qualifies for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

irfan khan

Post by irfan khan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:12 am

CR001 wrote:She can continue to extend as PBS Dependent until she qualifies for ILR.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. That was my first understanding. But from Home office website, it is mentioned that dependent of Settled Person has to apply for the family visa which in my case will be FLR(M).

Can you please give a reference for the Home office website stating that dependent can continue to extend as PBS Dependent until qualifies for ILR.

Also if that is the case, then according to my understanding , my wife doesn't need to appear for the English test. Is it correct?

irfan khan

Post by irfan khan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:04 pm

Can someone please reply to the above query?

navodwickra

Post by navodwickra » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:27 am

irfan khan wrote:
CR001 wrote:She can continue to extend as PBS Dependent until she qualifies for ILR.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. That was my first understanding. But from Home office website, it is mentioned that dependent of Settled Person has to apply for the family visa which in my case will be FLR(M).

Can you please give a reference for the Home office website stating that dependent can continue to extend as PBS Dependent until qualifies for ILR.

Also if that is the case, then according to my understanding , my wife doesn't need to appear for the English test. Is it correct?
What CR001 said is correct, she will be on PBS dependent visa until she completes 5 years towards the IRL.I know this because couple of my close friends are on the same boat. She does not need KOL or English tests till ILR.

irfan khan

Post by irfan khan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:44 pm

Thanks navodwickra. I want to avoid PBS extension because of its fees. Can she switch to FLR(M)?
Do you know anyone who has recently switched to FLR(M) from PBS extension?

Thanks

navodwickra wrote:
irfan khan wrote:

What CR001 said is correct, she will be on PBS dependent visa until she completes 5 years towards the IRL.I know this because couple of my close friends are on the same boat. She does not need KOL or English tests till ILR.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:53 pm

Yes, she can switch to FLR(M) but this will reset her clock for ILR to zero and she will have to wait for 5 years again (2 x 2.5 year FLR(M) visas) before she will qualify for ILR.

She will need to meet the English requirement for FLR(M) and you will need to show income proof of £18,600pa.

And don't forget about the immigration health surcharge that has to be paid, £500 for the first 2.5 year FLR(M) visa application on top of the visa fees.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

irfan khan

Post by irfan khan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Thanks a lot CR001 for the quick reply. She will only loose 10 months and if I am correct immigration surcharge will apply for PBS extension too? Reason I am asking these questions is because I m still confused what will be the best option.
English requirement seems not to be a big problem nor is the proof of income.
Any thing else that makes PBS extension better option than switching to FLR?

Regards

quote="CR001"]Yes, she can switch to FLR(M) but this will reset her clock for ILR to zero and she will have to wait for 5 years again (2 x 2.5 year FLR(M) visas) before she will qualify for ILR.

She will need to meet the English requirement for FLR(M) and you will need to show income proof of £18,600pa.

And don't forget about the immigration health surcharge that has to be paid, £500 for the first 2.5 year FLR(M) visa application on top of the visa fees.[/quote]

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:42 pm

No not really, either is the same length to ILR and she would be free to work for any employer if she chooses.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

navodwickra

Post by navodwickra » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:47 pm

irfan khan wrote:Thanks navodwickra. I want to avoid PBS extension because of its fees. Can she switch to FLR(M)?
Do you know anyone who has recently switched to FLR(M) from PBS extension?

Thanks

What CR001 said is correct, she will be on PBS dependent visa until she completes 5 years towards the IRL.I know this because couple of my close friends are on the same boat. She does not need KOL or English tests till ILR.[/quote][/quote]

Well if you think about it in long term , PBS dependent is cheap and will be easy to obtain because it's going to be another extension. If she wants to switch to Spouse route then she need to pay £1000 for NHS surcharge over the 5 year period and apply for the initial and then the extension (2 VISA charges) before she can apply for ILR.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:55 pm

navodwickra wrote:What CR001 said is correct, she will be on PBS dependent visa until she completes 5 years towards the IRL.I know this because couple of my close friends are on the same boat. She does not need KOL or English tests till ILR.

Well if you think about it in long term , PBS dependent is cheap and will be easy to obtain because it's going to be another extension. If she wants to switch to Spouse route then she need to pay £1000 for NHS surcharge over the 5 year period and apply for the initial and then the extension (2 VISA charges) before she can apply for ILR.
PBS Dependent visa application fee is more expensive than spouse visa. PBS Dependents also have to pay the health surcharge. It is only Tier 2 ICT dependents that are exempt. The OP's spouse is Tier 1 G Dependent so it will be the expensive PBS Dependent visa fee plus the health surcharge, which makes it more expensive than FLR(M).
Char (CR001 not Casa)

navodwickra

Post by navodwickra » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:16 pm

CR001 wrote:
navodwickra wrote:What CR001 said is correct, she will be on PBS dependent visa until she completes 5 years towards the IRL.I know this because couple of my close friends are on the same boat. She does not need KOL or English tests till ILR.
Well if you think about it in long term , PBS dependent is cheap and will be easy to obtain because it's going to be another extension. If she wants to switch to Spouse route then she need to pay £1000 for NHS surcharge over the 5 year period and apply for the initial and then the extension (2 VISA charges) before she can apply for ILR.[/quote]
PBS Dependent visa application fee is more expensive than spouse visa. PBS Dependents also have to pay the health surcharge. It is only Tier 2 ICT dependents that are exempt. The OP's spouse is Tier 1 G Dependent so it will be the expensive PBS Dependent visa fee plus the health surcharge, which makes it more expensive than FLR(M).[/quote]

Yeah you are rite, it cost around 1700 to post.

irfan khan

Post by irfan khan » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:56 pm

CR001 wrote:

PBS Dependent visa application fee is more expensive than spouse visa. PBS Dependents also have to pay the health surcharge. It is only Tier 2 ICT dependents that are exempt. The OP's spouse is Tier 1 G Dependent so it will be the expensive PBS Dependent visa fee plus the health surcharge, which makes it more expensive than FLR(M).
Thanks CR001 and navodwickra. From the above explanation what I can make sense is that overall FLR(M) is cheaper, as both requires Health surcharge and 2 extenstions (my understanding is for PBS the maximum extension my wife can get is for 3 years, so she has still to apply for another extension).

Correct me If I am still missing anything.

One more question. I was going to make an appointment online for in person (ILR for myself and FLR(M) for my wife) but the system was not allowing me to book same appointment for two different visa type.
Does that mean that I have to make two different appointments on the same day and will that be ok?
Please advise me

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:09 pm

You need two separate appointments, a couple of hours apart with FLR(M) after your appointment. You will likely need to do her appointment in a different user name.

Remember that if you do not get a decision on the day and they hold your application for further checks, she will not be able to apply for FLR(M) either.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

irfan khan

Post by irfan khan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:37 pm

CR001 wrote:You need two separate appointments, a couple of hours apart with FLR(M) after your appointment. You will likely need to do her appointment in a different user name.

Remember that if you do not get a decision on the day and they hold your application for further checks, she will not be able to apply for FLR(M) either.