ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

USA Citizen to join EEA Spouse Visa Questions

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

swanpinions
Newly Registered

USA Citizen to join EEA Spouse Visa Questions

Post by swanpinions » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:44 am

Hello all.
I am a citizen of the USA, looking to travel to Europe and marry my soon-to-be spouse in the upcoming year. He is a EU citizen, from Lithuania, and was exercising his EEA rights to work and study in Sweden for the last three years.
We will most likely be marrying in Sweden, consequently, and would like to cohabit.
My question is, because of our current non-marital status which will not be amended until I arrive overseas, what kind of visa and permit do I need to travel with in order to 1) arrive in Sweden and 2) be granted temporary residency/other rights?

Additionally, is there more specific documentation we may be asked for at the time of marriage to make sure it is not seen as a marriage of convenience?

Any other additional information would be gladly appreciated.

liksah

Re: USA Citizen to join EEA Spouse Visa Questions

Post by liksah » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:00 am

You don't need any visa to enter Sweden. However, you might not get a temporary resident permit as a regular american citizen. If you register a civil partnership, or get married, then you can get a residence permit based on that. Otherwise, you'll be limited to staying 90 days with your fiance and 90 days somewhere outside Schengen.

You can get married (but make sure you have all the documents needed in Sweden.. check beforehand) in Sweden and then apply for residence there. You don't need to do anything before leaving the US.

Once in Sweden, and married, you will need to apply for a residence card. The information here is pretty detailed:
http://www.migrationsverket.se/English/ ... izens.html