ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Filipina in Germany: problems visiting UK?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tenuissent
Newly Registered

Filipina in Germany: problems visiting UK?

Post by tenuissent » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:57 am

A young friend presently in the Philippines but with no internet access, married for a year to a German, has just received a visa allowing her to move with him to Germany. Once in Germany, she is anxious to visit her mother in England but does not know if her marriage and visa will allow her to do that?

Does anyone know? Her mother has asked me to find out, as she also has limited access to, or experience of, the internet.

I know that someone from outside the EU, married to a UK husband and living in UK, can apply for a free visa to visit Schengen countries, but I don't know how it works in reverse.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Filipina in Germany: problems visiting UK?

Post by Wanderer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:09 pm

She can visit visa-free if she travels with her husband but due to the fact that whilst the rules are there the airlines etc don't know them and err on the side of caution, so always best to get a UK visit visa since UK isn't in the Schengen Zone.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

tenuissent
Newly Registered

Post by tenuissent » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks for your reply (and I fully understand your doubts about the rules being correctly applied by airlines etc). Could you be kind enough to direct me to some official document I can quote to my friends?

Are you saying that if she travels to UK without her husband she would have problems? Suppose he has to work, or has no interest in visiting UK?

(In case it is relevant, her Filipina mother is currently appealing against yet another refusal of a visa to remain with her UK husband of several years).

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:29 pm

tenuissent wrote:Thanks for your reply (and I fully understand your doubts about the rules being correctly applied by airlines etc). Could you be kind enough to direct me to some official document I can quote to my friends?

Are you saying that if she travels to UK without her husband she would have problems? Suppose he has to work, or has no interest in visiting UK?

(In case it is relevant, her Filipina mother is currently appealing against yet another refusal of a visa to remain with her UK husband of several years).
If she travels alone she would need a UK visit visa, immigration aren't interested in excuses or reasons etc, just fulfil criteria yes/no tick box.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

tenuissent
Newly Registered

Post by tenuissent » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:13 am

Oh dear, further conversation reveals that all she has to Germany is a Tourist Visa at the moment.

Does anyone know if that makes it harder or even impossible for her to visit UK while she is in Germany?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:43 am

tenuissent wrote:Oh dear, further conversation reveals that all she has to Germany is a Tourist Visa at the moment.

Does anyone know if that makes it harder or even impossible for her to visit UK while she is in Germany?
Presumably once in Germany the lady will be applying for a German Residence card or permit as she is a dependent sponsored by her German (EEA) national husband.

In terms of UK, it's a case of travel with husband under EU free movement rules/regulations or apply for British visit visa.

This link covers use of an EU Article 10 RC to travel (if non-EEA national has obtained such a card):
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... dence-card
- note this is not the same as a 'domestic' issued RC

If the mother is free to travel, she (mother) would need a Schengen visa to visit Germany;
(assuming she is not a BC and from your introduction it appears she is not).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.