ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering UK with Swedish PR but no passport

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

salmuzeey

Entering UK with Swedish PR but no passport

Post by salmuzeey » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:10 pm

Hey There

Thanks for all the info..am asking this question on behalf of someone.He has a Swedish permanent residence( he hasnt got the passport yet) and will like to travel with his wife to the uk will that be at all possible?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question!

noajthan

Re: Entering UK with Swedish PR but no passport

Post by noajthan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:29 pm

salmuzeey wrote:Hey There

Thanks for all the info..am asking this question on behalf of someone.He has a Swedish permanent residence( he hasnt got the passport yet) and will like to travel with his wife to the uk will that be at all possible?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question!
This may help you:
https://blogs.kent.ac.uk/eu-rights-clin ... pril-2015/

See also:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... dence-card
A valid, genuine Article 10 (or Article 20) residence card allows the non-EEA national family member of an EEA national to travel to the UK without the requirement to obtain an EEA family permit.

However, in order to be admitted to the UK you will need to demonstrate that you have a right of admission under EU law. Without evidence that you have a right of admission, you will not be allowed to enter to the UK on the basis of your residence card.
Whether it works in practice may depend on whether you can persuade airline staff to let you check in & fly in the first place.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

salmuzeey

Post by salmuzeey » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:46 am

Thank you so much for the info it was indeed helpful
However, note that residence permits issued under national immigration law to the family members of EU citizens living in their country of nationality will not benefit from this exemption. Such family members will still be required to obtain a visa to travel to the UK even when accompanying or joining their EU relative in the UK.
In this case i suppose they both have to apply for a visa right? Since they are from Sweden living in Sweden and dont have the intention to live in the UK whatsoever. Will it be the EEA family permit that they should apply for bearing in mind that the husband has not received his passport yet?

I am really sorry if i seem repetitive and annoying.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:11 pm

salmuzeey wrote:Thank you so much for the info it was indeed helpful
However, note that residence permits issued under national immigration law to the family members of EU citizens living in their country of nationality will not benefit from this exemption. Such family members will still be required to obtain a visa to travel to the UK even when accompanying or joining their EU relative in the UK
In this case i suppose they both have to apply for a visa right? Since they are from Sweden living in Sweden and dont have the intention to live in the UK whatsoever. Will it be the EEA family permit that they should apply for bearing in mind that the husband has not received his passport yet?

I am really sorry if i seem repetitive and annoying.
You actually sound quite thoughtful & considerate on behalf of your friend.

If only a domestic RC is held (from another country) then yes, the non-EEA national would need a UK Family Permit (FP) to enter UK.

I have heard of EEA nationals travelling on their 'id card' instead of a passport but don't know much about it. In any case an EEA national can't apply for a FP.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:57 pm

noajthan wrote:I have heard of EEA nationals travelling on their 'id card' instead of a passport but don't know much about it.
EEA nationals can travel anywhere within the EU using only their national identity card. They only need to prove their identity and their citizenship, both of which can be done by the national identity card. I have seen people enter the UK and other EU countries using their national identity card at the immigration counters when I have traveled within the EU.
noajthan wrote:In any case an EEA national can't apply for a FP.
Correct. EEA nationals have freedom of movement within the EEA and do not need to apply for a permit.

To the OP
What is the current nationality of both your friend and his wife?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.