ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

how do i get my passport back from immigration ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AnnonymousAnon
Newly Registered

how do i get my passport back from immigration ?

Post by AnnonymousAnon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:40 pm

i have been in the uk illegally for almost 10 years but i am applying to do the sirunder Singh route, however ukba has got my passport because somebody took it and gave it to them a long time ago so i had to go in hiding. i am illegal here but i need my passport back to do this . will they give it back to me, even though my visa has expired a long time ago ? i am worried they may catch me if i request to have my documents back :o

noajthan

Re: how do i get my passport back from immigration ?

Post by noajthan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:44 pm

AnnonymousAnon wrote:i have been in the uk illegally for almost 10 years but i am applying to do the sirunder Singh route, however ukba has got my passport because somebody took it and gave it to them a long time ago so i had to go in hiding. i am illegal here but i need my passport back to do this . will they give it back to me, even though my visa has expired a long time ago ? i am worried they may catch me if i request to have my documents back :o
It's unclear how you would prove you had a passport.
And it's unclear how to have it delivered to you.

The passport is likely to have been cancelled in some way anyway.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Highly_Skilled

Post by Highly_Skilled » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:52 am

AnnonymousAnon wrote:i have been in the uk illegally for almost 10 years but i am applying to do the sirunder Singh route, however ukba has got my passport because somebody took it and gave it to them a long time ago so i had to go in hiding. i am illegal here but i need my passport back to do this . will they give it back to me, even though my visa has expired a long time ago ? i am worried they may catch me if i request to have my documents back :o
Immigration won't return your passport back to you if you continue to remain in the UK ilegally without a valid visa. Why should they anyway?

It's like asking the Police to return seized goods that you had stolen.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:15 pm

Most passports expire in 10 years. So, even a brand new passport when you would have entered the country would almost certainly be invalid now. So, you will need a new passport in any case.

You can apply to the embassy/consulate of your country for a new passport. Some of them require proof that you are in the UK legally and some of them also require a copy of your old passport (you could report it as lost, presumably).

Going through the Surinder Singh route, you will need to show that you are either married to or in a durable relationship with a British citizen.

You can not marry in the UK as the local registry office must pass your details on to the Home Office if any one of the two parties is a non-UK national.

Assuming that you go for the durable relationship route, even if you were to leave the country and come in through the Surinder Singh route, you will have to prove that you stayed with your partner for atleast two years. So, the Home Office will know that you have been in the UK illegally in the past. You will certainly face a 10 year ban on citizenship. And in 10 years, who knows what the rules for citizenship will be?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.