ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language - Statement of changes 29 oct 2015

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ravian80
Newly Registered

English language - Statement of changes 29 oct 2015

Post by ravian80 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:10 am

Today UK Visas and Immigration has announced changes to the Immigration Rules.

1) ensuring indefinite leave and naturalisation applicants, who normally rely on an English language qualification, take a secure English language test.

I'm on Tier 1 (General) and I did my master degree from university in London. It was taught in English so My question is that shall I still need to do the English test or my degree will be accepted as English qualification.

I would be very thankful if someone assist me in this regard.

Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Statement of changes 29 oct 2015

Post by geriatrix » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:02 am

The changes to English language requirement for settlement and naturalisation affect only those who must rely on an "English language exam" to fulfil the requirement - and not those who may fulfil this requirement on the basis of their nationality or academic qualifications (degree).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

mkhan2525
United Kingdom

Re: English language - Statement of changes 29 oct 2015

Post by mkhan2525 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:28 pm

ravian80 wrote:Today UK Visas and Immigration has announced changes to the Immigration Rules.

1) ensuring indefinite leave and naturalisation applicants, who normally rely on an English language qualification, take a secure English language test.
I saw this statement on their website a couple of days ago. Its not clear whether old certificates like ESOL which are still on Ofqual register can be used for limited leave to remain applications? They only mention new secure tests for ILR and naturalisation.

Can anyone confirm?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:32 pm

My advice - Wait for the associated policy / guidances to be updated and published - to find the answer to your question.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

matsben78
Newly Registered

Post by matsben78 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:56 pm

Could Geriatrix or any other moderator please answer my question?

I am due to apply for the ILR in the next few weeks. I came to the UK in March 2011 on a Tier 2 General visa. And have continued on the Tier 2 with another sponsor. My IELTS score of 8.0 was used for the initial application in 2011. With the current changes for English requirements, does it mean that I will have to pass another English language test?
Or am I exempted from this requirement as my language requirements were satisfied in a previous successful application?
Please let me know about this. Thanks.