ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation process for EU citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

arturfg
Newly Registered

Naturalisation process for EU citizen

Post by arturfg » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:23 pm

Hi, I have become quite exasperated trying to fill in the form AN for naturalisation and trying to navigate through all the various guides! I would be very grateful for any help on a few points.

By way of introduction, I have been in the UK for over 20 years having come over from Spain when I was 2 years old. I have therefore grown up here as well as doing an undergraduate and masters degree here. It appears that I would still need to take the Life in the UK test and prove my knowledge of the English language...fair enough. Apart from completing this test, I'm pretty sure I fulfil all the eligibility requirements.

Do I need to get a permanent resident card before applying for naturalisation? Would that then mean that I would have to wait until I had one year of PR status? Surely I already have this status, even without the card? How do I prove this?

To satisfy knowledge of language I can submit my graduation certificate - how do I find out if its been approved by NARIC without having to pay any more money? Can I assume that it is fine if its from a good university?

What is the deal with the biometric information - do you have to submit it as part of the PR application or the form AN? How do you get the home office barcode?

The main issue is with the permanent resident issue as I'm not sure whether or not its essential and don't really want to spend more money and fill in more paperwork if not.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Artur

noajthan

Re: Naturalisation process for EU citizen

Post by noajthan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:35 pm

arturfg wrote:Hi, I have become quite exasperated trying to fill in the form AN for naturalisation and trying to navigate through all the various guides! I would be very grateful for any help on a few points.

By way of introduction, I have been in the UK for over 20 years having come over from Spain when I was 2 years old. I have therefore grown up here as well as doing an undergraduate and masters degree here. It appears that I would still need to take the Life in the UK test and prove my knowledge of the English language...fair enough. Apart from completing this test, I'm pretty sure I fulfil all the eligibility requirements.

Do I need to get a permanent resident card before applying for naturalisation? Would that then mean that I would have to wait until I had one year of PR status? Surely I already have this status, even without the card? How do I prove this?

To satisfy knowledge of language I can submit my graduation certificate - how do I find out if its been approved by NARIC without having to pay any more money? Can I assume that it is fine if its from a good university?

What is the deal with the biometric information - do you have to submit it as part of the PR application or the form AN? How do you get the home office barcode?

The main issue is with the permanent resident issue as I'm not sure whether or not its essential and don't really want to spend more money and fill in more paperwork if not.

Artur
Yes to LITUK.
As for English simply submit UK degree certificate. No need for NARIC nonsense for a UK degree.

As of today you almost certainly have acquired PR in UK based on your stated timelines.
A PR card does not ofcourse confer settled status, it merely confirms it.

However a PR card will now be required for naturalisation applications after 12 November due to recent changes.

See http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 97004.html

Biometrics needed every step of the way: ie both for PR and for naturalisation.
(Presumably HO want to ensure each applicant is same person each time).

Long story short you will first need PR card if planning on applying for privilege of citizenship after 12 November, 2015.

Bit of background from forum FAQs:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 95747.html
- see Q5

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

alvarez0306

Post by alvarez0306 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:00 pm

noajthan wrote:
arturfg wrote:Hi, I have become quite exasperated trying to fill in the form AN for naturalisation and trying to navigate through all the various guides! I would be very grateful for any help on a few points.

Artur
Yes to LITUK.
As for English simply submit UK degree certificate. No need for NARIC nonsense for a UK degree.

As of today you almost certainly have acquired PR in UK based on your stated timelines.
A PR card does not ofcourse confer settled status, it merely confirms it.

However a PR card will now be required for naturalisation applications after 12 November due to recent changes.

See http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 97004.html

Biometrics needed every step of the way: ie both for PR and for naturalisation.
(Presumably HO want to ensure each applicant is same person each time).

Long story short you will first need PR card if planning on applying for privilege of citizenship after 12 November, 2015.

Bit of background from forum FAQs:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 95747.html
- see Q5

Good luck.
Biometrics certainly not needed for this gentleman if he is an eu national (which he is Spanish like me)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:06 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chan ... categories

"Changes are being made to the way in which biometric information, including fingerprints and facial images, are being managed from 6 April 2015.
The new rules will mean that anyone registering or naturalising as a British Citizen will need to provide their biometrics as part of their application. "

This includes EEA citizens, although not required for PR registration.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

alvarez0306

Post by alvarez0306 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:43 pm

Casa wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chan ... categories

"Changes are being made to the way in which biometric information, including fingerprints and facial images, are being managed from 6 April 2015.
The new rules will mean that anyone registering or naturalising as a British Citizen will need to provide their biometrics as part of their application. "

This includes EEA citizens, although not required for PR registration.
Yes I was referring to the application of permanent residency for eu citizens where biometric information is not required. Your quite right in stating that for naturalisation biometrics is required for anyone