ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR, Tax Issue

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

afk90
Newly Registered

ILR, Tax Issue

Post by afk90 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi,

I have a strange issue regarding tax paid during my initial application. Let me explain it in best way possible.

The documents i sent to HO in August 2010 for my initial tier 1 application showed £15,200 earned from self employment in 2 split years (2009/10, 2010/11) out of which £12,700 was earned in 2010/11.

After consulting my lawyer, he asked to me verify if tax return for that year (2010/11) is same as the documents sent to HO. When i went through the tax return for 10/11 (filed in January 2012 and i got my first tier 1 general visa in September 2010), I found out that my accountant had showed the above income from one of the employement i left in january 2010. In short, all my income and self employment for 2010/11 sent to HMRC is about 42k and i have already paid tax on it. Employement i left in january 2010 comes under financial year 2009/10.

It is clearly evident from the tax return that i have paid tax on previous employement twice i.e once in 2009/10 and once in 210/11. I have requested for amendment to HMRC even though my accountant was also surprised how come HMRC did not notify me of paying tax twice.

My question is where do i stand in terms of tax paid to HMRC and where do i stand in terms of my ILR as it is clearly evident i did not evade any tax or commit fraud but overpaid it and it is a plain accounting error from both sides. Would HO term it as deception?

Your guidance in this matter will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance

afk90
Newly Registered

Re: ILR, Tax Issue

Post by afk90 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:53 pm

I consulted accountant and he also said it is accounting error. It would have been deception if i had showed more figures to HO and less figures to hmrc to avoid tax but it is other way round as i showed more earning to hmrc and paid extra tax?

Any feedback would be very much appreciated

bluecandi
BANNED

Post by bluecandi » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:09 pm

Is your amendment done?

Because apparently you asking for a refund from HMRC.

afk90
Newly Registered

Post by afk90 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:47 pm

@bluecandi thank you for the input

No i just filed for amendment and it takes time. My question is does it fall under deception as i did not show less amount to HMRC than HO and purely a counting mistake which led to me paying more tax than normal in 2010/11?