ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Additional documentation for Foreign Births Registry

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JackKearney
Newly Registered

Additional documentation for Foreign Births Registry

Post by JackKearney » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:03 am

The Irish Foreign Births Registry application gives you a checklist of documentation to provide in order to prove eligibility for inclusion. Birth and marriage certificates, certified copies of current IDs, death certificates for your grandparents or parents, etc. However, it also states that they might need "additional documentation."

I was wondering if anyone here had their Foreign Births Registry application returned for "additional documentation," and an example of what this additional documentation might be.

Also wondering if anyone was able to get on the Register having provided LESS than required. I'm able to provide everything required for my grandparents, and myself. However, they want a birth certificate from my parent, and a certified copy of current passport or ID (or death certificate if dead). I have my dad's birth certificate, but he's a paranoid, 84 year-old man who refuses to give me a certified copy of his passport. So does this mean I can't apply until he dies and I can use a death certificate?

sweetbeatrice
Newly Registered

Re: Additional documentation for Foreign Births Registry

Post by sweetbeatrice » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:27 pm

Hello! To your first question - no, received no request for further documentation. About your father's ID, I imagine that it is required as listed. Would he feel more comfortable with a certified copy of his driver's license or state ID? This may be a question for your nearest Consulate?

tev9999
Newly Registered

Re: Additional documentation for Foreign Births Registry

Post by tev9999 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:08 pm

Unless it has changed since I applied in March 2014 the copy of the DL/Passport does not need to be certified. I simply sent a copy of my mothers drivers license. It was actually a printout of a cell phone picture of her license. I received my FBR certificate in December 2014 with no need for additional documentation. I sent the following:

Application form with a Priest as signature witness.
Passport sized photos
Money order for payment

Myself:
- Certified copy of my US birth certificate
- Photocopy of my US Passport, passport card and MI drivers license
- Cable/utility bills to prove residence

Mother:
- Certified copy of US birth certificate
- Certified copy of marriage license (needed to show her name change from grandfather)
- Photocopy of DL

Grandfather:
- Certified birth certificate (obtained from Irish records office online)
- Copy of US death certificate

I did not send my grandfather's marriage license as both he and my grandmother were Irish, married in Ireland, and I didn't see the need since you only need one grandparent to qualify and a clear line of surname was shown without it.

When I applied for my Irish passport this year they did want a notarized copy of my US Passport in addition to a signature witness on the application, but a notary was not acceptable as the witness. A bank manager is an acceptable witness, so I combined it all with the trip to the bank to get the cashiers check to pay for it. The notary pointed out that a notary does not testify that an ID document matches the person presenting it - they verify the person signing the document is the person they say they are. She had me sign the copy of my passport so she could notarize the piece of paper it was on. The bank manager then witnessed my signature on the passport application and also signed off on the back of the passport photos.

I am still waiting on the passport six months later. I did verify with the Chicago Consulate that they received it, but they were several months backlogged processing them. Dual citizens with a US passport are apparently prioritized lower as we can travel on our US passports.

If you have questions you can e-mail your consulate. You have to apply through the one in your geographical area. I did have some questions and Chicago got back to me within 24 hours by e-mail.