ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tricky situation - compassionate visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Porkypig
Australia

Tricky situation - compassionate visa

Post by Porkypig » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:05 am

Hi there

My sister (Australian) is in the Uk on a tier 5 charity worker visa. She has fallen ill and is in an induced coma. She is expected to recover, but it will be months before she can return home. She has no one with her.

Can I apply for a compassionate visa to stay and work there with my family (wife & 3 kids) so that we can provide care for her? My wife will need to work too.

I cannot afford to not work. And our parents are too old to start with her (they require some care too).

Does anyone know what I can do in this situation?

My occupation is on the current shortage list. Can I do something with that? I would like to go as soon as I can.

secret.simon

Re: Tricky situation - compassionate visa

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:17 pm

This document seems to suggest that entry clearance for carers is considered exceptional and hence is granted "outside the (Immigration) Rules". It is therefore hard to predict whether you would be allowed to work on such a visa or not, but it would be highly unlikely that the rest of your family would be allowed to accompany you.

Do either your wife or you have any British-born grandparents? If you do and you have the documentation (birth and marriage certificates) to prove it, you would be eligible for an Ancestry visa on that basis. That does allow you to bring your family members and to work.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Porkypig
Australia

Re: Tricky situation - compassionate visa

Post by Porkypig » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:48 pm

No, we don't have any British ancestry