ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Use Indian passport after obtaining british passport?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hussainkothari
Member of Standing

Use Indian passport after obtaining british passport?

Post by hussainkothari » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:23 pm

Hello,

I got my UK born daughter her Indian passport. We didn't apply for any UK visa as she was due for naturalisation very soon.

Now she is naturalised and her british passport will be with us next week.

I am planning a trip to India and will not have time to surrender her Indian passport and apply for an Indian visa.

Prowling on the forums, it seems that she can use her Indian passport until 90 days of her naturalisation. If this is the case, can she then go to India on her Indian passport and on her return present her British passport (somewhere I read that she can't use different passports on the same trip)?

So 2 questions -
1. is the 90 days grace period true? Is there an official web link?
2. Can she use different passport on her onward and outward journey in the same trip?

Thanks,
H

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Use Indian passport after obtaining british passport?

Post by geriatrix » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:27 pm

Clarifications wrote:4. There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel.
2. To travel from India using a British passport, the child will need either an exit visa or OCI - else the child may not be allowed to pass Indian immigration control or board the flight.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!