ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

which SELT level for ILR from tier 1 ?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vidya

which SELT level for ILR from tier 1 ?

Post by vidya » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi Mods and others

I am finalising my application for ILR. I have been on tier 1 for a LONG time now ( went to India to have my son and the clock reset , so took 8 years to get to 5 years continuous residence but that's another story)

Thanks to the new KOLL rules, I have been trying to understand the new English language requirement. My degree certificate was previously used to claim qualification points but don't know how lengthy the process is to get a NARIC certificate now to confirm the degree was in English so thought taking the English test may be simpler !

However, the SELT / trinity college website says for ILR B2 level test which is a simple test but for tier 1 need to take C1 which is a lengthy two hour test and also the next test date is well into dec.

Anyone else applying ILR and looking at doing these tests , please advise ? do we need B2 or C1 when going from Tier 1 to ILR. also do I really need to do this or are others going the Naric confirmation of degree in English route ?
The ILR guidance says at least B2 implying various levels for the various types of ILR I guess.

hydviv
Newly Registered

Re: which SELT level for ILR from tier 1 ?

Post by hydviv » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:01 pm

Vidya,

If I were you, I would put this question to UKVI contact line/mail.
The guidance say "The Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement is changing in November 2015. From that date you will only be able to use an English language qualification at B1 level or above if it is on the
list of acceptable Home Office qualifications. This can be found at: www.gov.uk/government/publications/guid ... uage-tests. From November other English language qualifications will no longer be accepted for this purpose."

The site www.gov.uk/english-language/ that is last updated on 12 Nov 2015 still has Degree Taught as one Option of English language criteria..

The way I interpret this is other English language test qualifications etc is not going to be valid as B1 is only criteria they would need instead.
However, Having a Degree taught and researched in English or being a National of English-Speaking Country should still qualify for Language Qualifications as in the past. (if these 2 are explicitly taken off, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who came in to UK from Dec 2010 and feel gutted of having to spend another £150 as a day light robbery?)

Hydviv.