ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TIME SENSITIVE: Defacto visa application questions

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dianamh
Newly Registered

TIME SENSITIVE: Defacto visa application questions

Post by dianamh » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:01 am

Hi!

I am getting ready to apply for a defacto spouse visa to Australia but i have some questions that keep me up at night.

First of all I am American and my partner Australian by birth. I studied in Australia for almost 3 years and lived with my partner in that time.

Here the questions start:

1- I left Australia to write my masters dissertation at home, in America, but we maintained a relationship and it is contining and we love each other and all that good stuff. Will the fact that we have not lived with one another in the 12 months prior to filing the application be an issue?

2- Will the fact that I received 2 degrees in Australia help me in my application?

3-How long does it take for this to be processed?

4- I also hold a Colombian passport. WIll applying as a Colombian be better or worse in terms of how long it takes to process the application?

5- If I move to Colombia while I wait for my application to be (hopefully) approved and everyhting will the process take longer?

6- Roughly how long does it take for these types of visas to be approved?

Any answers would be great!!! I have been away from Australia for a few years and I miss it so...

Thanks!!
D

morrisde
Newly Registered

Post by morrisde » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:23 pm

Hi,

As far as I know the fact that you have been apart for a while shouldn't affect you too much as long as you can prove that the separation was only temporary, and it sounds like it was for a legitimate reason too.

I don't think that having lived in Australia and / or having degrees from Australian universities is really taken into account for this visa. They are judging your relationship to your partner, not your relationship to Australia. However, it can only help your application to mention it.

I'm having trouble finding out how long an application takes to be processed too. I've heard everything from 3 days to 6 months. It seems to depend on how complete your application is so that they don't have to ask you for more details or evidence etc. I don't think the time will vary depending on where you apply.

I hope that helps. I'm in pretty much the same boat.

Good luck!