ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Tax Issue, PEO in 9 Days HELP!

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shasaem7050
Newly Registered

ILR Tax Issue, PEO in 9 Days HELP!

Post by shasaem7050 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:28 pm

Hey everyone,

My peo appointment is in 10 days :?
I recently found out that when i switched my post study to HSMP my accountant who has now closed the company and ran off never checked my accounts properly and some of the tax is still outstanding, however this was back in 2011. In 2012 before my extension on HSMP i converted my visa to spouse and have been on it since.
My spouse is British national, and we have a baby together as well.

Now, I have spoken to this new accountant, and he says he has sent the details to HMRC and is awaiting a reply from them on the outstanding amount and any fines etc. on it. He says this can take 6-8 weeks. I told him my PEO is in 10 days he says he will write a letter confirming that we are in touch with HMRC and the balance will be paid in installments in due course. Since i have been told after the ILR i still need to pay the tax because it all gets checked again before they give you the passport.

My question is, I will pay this tax, but i only have 10 days left, and since i was on spouse visa last will the tax still get checked. I was only on HSMP for less than 2 years. I left work after a year because i met my spouse and relocated. Is it still relevant.

Freaking out here!!, hope it makes sense will be waiting for replies :)

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR Tax Issue, PEO in 9 Days HELP!

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:37 pm

will the tax still get checked
Yes, likely that your tax records will be checked. HO is clamping down hard on things like this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shasaem7050
Newly Registered

Post by shasaem7050 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks for your reply,

if they do check my records and say that i have that amount of tax outstanding (it is around 9k), will me saying that i am paying it and my accountant is already in touch with HMRC, will that make any difference.
I own a property where i used to live and i am selling it in next couple of months to pay the outstanding tax. Will they accept that or refuse my ILR?

madcap2763
Newly Registered

Post by madcap2763 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:56 pm

In a similar situation like urz, but my accountant said as long as you can prove that u have contacted HMRC and are willing to pay the tax, it should be OK.
But at the same time it could be risky as well

shasaem7050
Newly Registered

Post by shasaem7050 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:09 pm

its a horrible situation to be in, i dont even mind paying the tax i just didnt know anything about it until now.

I spoke to a solicitor and he said since i am converting it from spouse visa, they wont check it in as much detail, and hopefully will consider that i am married to a british national and have a baby as well. I REALLY hope he's right

screenprint

Post by screenprint » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:07 am

What was the outcome ! Any UpDate !

pshayer
India

Post by pshayer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:39 am

I also worked as a self employee for first two years of my Tier 1. I was also bit worried thinking that there might be something wrong because my accountant was not very good and I had many issues dealing with him. For peace of mind, I have called HMRC few days ago to check if I or my Limited company have anything outstanding. They said I have 20p remaining to pay and took the payment immediately on phone.

Not sure if it is something applicable in your case but I think it is worth ringing HMRC directly.