ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax return -self assessment

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

J3SSICA
Newly Registered

Tax return -self assessment

Post by J3SSICA » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:07 pm

The self assessment tax returns for 2011 and 2012 was submitted to HMRC in Oct 2015 via post. Submitted ILR application few weeks ago, was under the impression that hmrc system will reflect all tax returns (2011-2015) by now. However, just came to know tax returns won't be updated by Hmrc before Jan 2016. This will affect by ILR application.

Can any someone suggest how to expedite the process of updating the tax returns?

Malik44

Re: Tax return -self assessment

Post by Malik44 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:23 am

J3SSICA wrote:The self assessment tax returns for 2011 and 2012 was submitted to HMRC in Oct 2015 via post. Submitted ILR application few weeks ago, was under the impression that hmrc system will reflect all tax returns (2011-2015) by now.

Correct once you submitted the Tax return on paper it will updated after 4-6 weeks time in HMRC system[./color]

However, just came to know tax returns won't be updated by Hmrc before Jan 2016. This will affect by ILR application.

Someone provided you wrong information.

Can any someone suggest how to expedite the process of updating the tax returns?
Best thing is call to HMRC and find out the progress of submitted Tax returns.

J3SSICA
Newly Registered

Post by J3SSICA » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:30 am

Thank you for reply. I have been calling HMRC everyday for last one week and everytime they say Jan 2016 time line. Don't know what to do, any suggestions?

guaravd

Post by guaravd » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:44 pm

As you have amended 2011-12 tax return manually in October 2015 it will take minimum 3-4 months for hmrc to amend the returns (that's their current turn around time for manual amendments).
If you've submitted an explanation letter along with your application explaining that you'very already submitted the amendments with hmrc then it shouldn't be an issue I believe.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:49 pm

AFAIK, by law HMRC has 6 months to amend tax returns of previous years after amendments are received. Anything sooner than that ... consider yourself lucky.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:50 pm

I believe the main issue will be why self-assessment tax returns which were due to be submitted by 01/31/13, weren't submitted until October 2015. Is there a tax payment/penalty outstanding? From your opening post, I'm assuming this was a late submission and not an amendment to a previously submitted tax return.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

bluecandi
BANNED

Post by bluecandi » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:02 pm

sushdmehta wrote:AFAIK, by law HMRC has 6 months to amend tax returns of previous years after amendments are received. Anything sooner than that ... consider yourself lucky.

Sushdmehta could you please provide the web source related to this.

Regards

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:07 pm

bluecandi wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:AFAIK, by law HMRC has 6 months to amend tax returns of previous years after amendments are received. Anything sooner than that ... consider yourself lucky.

Sushdmehta could you please provide the web source related to this.

Regards
"HMRC has 9 months from the date the taxpayer amendment is received in which to repair that amendment."
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/sammanual/sam124165.htm
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:10 pm

I was a bit too optimistic then! :D
Thanks Casa for the correction, and the link.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

guaravd

Post by guaravd » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:16 pm

I guess it also depends upon the workload at hmrc. People are able to get the amendment done in about 4 months time as of now but considering the holiday period in December it may take longer for people who have recently applied for the amendment.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:30 pm

sushdmehta wrote:I was a bit too optimistic then! :D
Thanks Casa for the correction, and the link.
Welcome. Good cop, bad cop :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:39 pm

guaravd wrote:As you have amended 2011-12 tax return manually in October 2015 it will take minimum 3-4 months for hmrc to amend the returns (that's their current turn around time for manual amendments).
If you've submitted an explanation letter along with your application explaining that you'very already submitted the amendments with hmrc then it shouldn't be an issue I believe.
Bear in mind that there is a time limit for submitting an amendment to a tax return:
"Just as HMRC has the right to repair an obvious error or mistake on the return the taxpayer has the right to amend it, within 12 months of the statutory filing date."

i.e An amendment to a 2011-12 tax return would have to be submitted no later than 31st January 2014
(Casa, not CR001)

guaravd

Post by guaravd » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:55 pm

Casa wrote:
guaravd wrote:As you have amended 2011-12 tax return manually in October 2015 it will take minimum 3-4 months for hmrc to amend the returns (that's their current turn around time for manual amendments).
Bear in mind that there is a time limit for submitting an amendment to a tax return:
"Just as HMRC has the right to repair an obvious error or mistake on the return the taxpayer has the right to amend it, within 12 months of the statutory filing date."

i.e An amendment to a 2011-12 tax return would have to be submitted no later than 31st January 2014
True but this time limit is only applicable if you want to do amend your returns online. Therefore an amendment to a 2011-12 tax return would have to be submitted no later than 31st January 2014 if you wish to amend it online. Once you've missed the above timeline you have to submit your amendments manually by post only.
https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax- ... orrections

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:35 pm

"The 31 January filing date applies for amendment purposes whether a return was filed on paper or online. So, a taxpayer who files a paper return on time for the year 2007-2008 onwards will have longer to file an amendment than someone who files online. The legislation is at TMA S9ZA."

(Casa, not CR001)

J3SSICA
Newly Registered

Post by J3SSICA » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:05 pm

Thank you for reply. The self assessments submitted were not the amendments. These were not submitted previously at all. Since the assessment haven't been processed yet by Hmrc so I am not aware of the actual tax/penalties. How're tax payable was around £450 in total. Hmrc is still saying 6Jan as the date when the system should be updated.

A letter explaining that the self assessment was submitted in Oct along with the proof of delivery was submitted to the home office.

Home office informed that it will take up to 6months to process my application. I believe they will wait for hmrc records to be updated.

Faisalshaikh
Newly Registered

Post by Faisalshaikh » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi

Have you got your ILR approved? I read your post and have similar case.

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:46 pm

Faisalshaikh wrote:Hi

Have you got your ILR approved? I read your post and have similar case.

Thanks
This thread is well over 2 years old and member J3SSICA only posted 3 times and hasn't visited the forum since Dec 2015 :!:
(Casa, not CR001)