ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS band 8 required for Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Junior0300

IELTS band 8 required for Tier 1

Post by Junior0300 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:11 pm

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:btDl ... cd=3&gl=uk

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:MjOd ... cd=1&gl=uk

We can only hope that existing HSMPs will not be required to fulfil this demand

My tuppence woth...

kck9
BANNED

Post by kck9 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:05 pm

I think this articles are pretty old after that only they have changed the rules of HSMP new version (Nov 2006). If they were having plans to change then they might have added IELTS score at that time itself....

we never know......

have to wait and c :roll:

jd
Member of Standing

Re: IELTS band 8 required for Tier 1

Post by jd » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:08 pm

It's next to impossible to get an overall 8 band in IELTS for non-native English or even for native English speakers because its more technical than English. Only a few people get this.

Its not practical! who is going to qualify for this if we suppose this will be implemented??

Regards,
JD

Junior0300 wrote:http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:btDl ... cd=3&gl=uk

My tuppence woth...

Junior0300

IELTS band 8

Post by Junior0300 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:12 pm

I did a google search based on the post in this forum (seems to be a recent reply from HO's Customer Services Team)

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=19800

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: IELTS band 8 required for Tier 1

Post by pantaiema » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:46 pm

I fully agree with this.
Even natice speaker with first degree, if they are required to get IELTS of 8.0 I believe majority will fail.
Take for instance if you want to get IETLS writing of 8.0 it is comparable that U r getting 8.0 (commendation/distinction) for your course work/essay. How many british people wil get essay/course work 0f 8.0 ?

But U will never be able to prove this officially as native speaker are not allowed to take IELTS test (according to IELTS guidance).

We have heard about literacy problem in the UK education system. Why do they require 8.0 if british people themselves extremely difficult to acheive this.
jd wrote:It's next to impossible to get an overall 8 band in IELTS for non-native English or even for native English speakers because its more technical than English. Only a few people get this.

Its not practical! who is going to qualify for this if we suppose this will be implemented??

Regards,
JD

Junior0300 wrote:http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:btDl ... cd=3&gl=uk

My tuppence woth...
Pantaiema

mohctp
Newly Registered

Post by mohctp » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:57 am

Regardless of whether it's true or not, I have recently scored IELTS at band 8. Was not hard at all, just spent a couple of hours looking through one of various IELTS training websites before the exam to know what it's like. I am far from perfect English speaker, but I have seen really, really bad ones scoring 7.

It's more the whole atmosphere of secrecy and strict rules that make you worry, not the complexity of tests!

kck9
BANNED

Post by kck9 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:00 pm

You cant say that it is easy.....it depends on the test.....few days it comes up very easy structure and other times it comes up very hard and u cant even think of answering them......moreover for speaking etc it generally depends on the examiners mood....

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:42 pm

mohctp
Could U shed the light the individual band that you have got to get the overal band 0f 8.0 ?
mohctp wrote:Regardless of whether it's true or not, I have recently scored IELTS at band 8. Was not hard at all, just spent a couple of hours looking through one of various IELTS training websites before the exam to know what it's like. I am far from perfect English speaker, but I have seen really, really bad ones scoring 7.

It's more the whole atmosphere of secrecy and strict rules that make you worry, not the complexity of tests!
Pantaiema

alina76

Post by alina76 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:57 pm

Hi,

I have IELTSband 8 overall.

writing: 8
speaking :9
listening: 8
reading :6

global gypsy
United Kingdom

which ielts?

Post by global gypsy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:38 pm

Which IELTS test is preferable to take for the purpose of getting HSMP approval? Academic or General Training?
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

Kaff
Member of Standing

Re: which ielts?

Post by Kaff » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:20 pm

global gypsy wrote:Which IELTS test is preferable to take for the purpose of getting HSMP approval? Academic or General Training?
General
Kaff

mohctp
Newly Registered

Post by mohctp » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:56 am

I did Academic, as the nearest General Training was available much later. Have already sent it all to the HO, but as far as I remember, it was 8,5 for listening, 8,5 reading, 7,5 writing and 8 speaking.

The guy at speaking exam was on HSMP 1+3, how funny is that!

MyHSMPApplication

Post by MyHSMPApplication » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:46 am

Right from the time, this thread came in, I have been going through loads of Command Papers as well as immigration act at The Stationary Office.

Believe me, absolutely nothing specifies IELTS band 8. I don't know where the Band 8 qualification came in.

With regard to an earlier post, all it links to is a power point presentation made by some solicitors. I don't know what the credibality of that is either.

The command paper for the Tier migration states that English Language Requirement is to be met. However it doesn't say anything about the Band classification.

Can some one point to the right document in this regard?

Cheers
PG

kck9
BANNED

Post by kck9 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:52 am

MyHSMPApplication wrote:Right from the time, this thread came in, I have been going through loads of Command Papers as well as immigration act at The Stationary Office.

Believe me, absolutely nothing specifies IELTS band 8. I don't know where the Band 8 qualification came in.

With regard to an earlier post, all it links to is a power point presentation made by some solicitors. I don't know what the credibality of that is either.

The command paper for the Tier migration states that English Language Requirement is to be met. However it doesn't say anything about the Band classification.

Can some one point to the right document in this regard?

Cheers
PG
You are absolutely right......i dont think there is any offical statements on the paper regading this IELTS band 8.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:37 pm

Want to see IELTS results statistics:
Have a look on this.
http://www.english.gov.hk/eng/download/cepas_mar.ppt
U will see that for the country which English is official language such as Singaporean, Hong Kong etc U will see that the majority is below 7.0.

This is about English requirement for NHS doctors:
We know that English requirement for the doctors should be very high as U need to speak and understand your patient complaint perfectly. They just require 7.0.
http://www.ugc.edu.hk/eng/ugc/publicati ... 30703e.htm

In Top universities in the UK such as Cambridge, Oxford they just need IELTS of 7.0. Have a look on this.
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/gsprosp ... entry.html

People who have not been working and living in English speaking countries for quite a few years is highly unlikely to get IELTS of 8.0.
-By setting this barrier it is unfair to people who are very talented but quite unfortunate have not been living in English speaking countries.
-How many people come from countries like Japan, Korea who have not been living in the english speaking countries for quite a while will pass. I will say almost nil. Even noble prize of the japanese professor, chinese professor is highly unlikely to pass this level. If they base in Japan/China. Are we going to say that they are less skillful than TIER 1 HSMP (if this were adopted) therefore will not qulify for TIER 1 ?
-Which high skill job require IELTS level of 8.0 ? If U r working in engineering, researchers for instance do U need IELTS of 8.0 ?
-Also in many people who have got IELTS of 8.0. Are they doing a better job than people with IELTL of 7.0 (say) for instance.
- I think it is also unfair to people who come from the countries where English is not an official language. U can not compare people come from countries like India, Jamaica, Nigeria where English is one of official languages with people come from countries like Japan, Korea, south Americas, etc. Suppose these people were in similar environment they would have probably done better and get 8.0 as well.
Pantaiema