ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILE to ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jerad
Newly Registered

ILE to ILR

Post by jerad » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:03 pm

i am grateful to see this forum where i could find so many resourceful things. i want a help please

i am 47 year old and my husband[was an asylum seeker] came to UK in 1999. then he sponsored me and my 5 children to UK with {Multi} Visa Family Reunion. on my passport, it states that Indefinite To Leave to Enter. this also had time limit. the time limit is from the date of the visa issued to the date of Passport expired. after 12 months later in UK, my passport and visa expired. after another 18 months [30 months altogether] in UK, my 3 of the children [under 18] and my husband applied for neutralization. then they became British national. i don't know whether me and my 2 other children [over 18] can apply, so we didn't.

now it's been 4 years since i came to UK. i want to ask you guys whether you could tell me the answers to these questions.

can i able to apply to become British nationalism?
is there anyway that i could travel to europe countries without applying for visa?
will i have a benefit if i apply for Travel document?
will my 2 childrens [over 18] would be able to apply for british nationalism under my husband who is british now?

please help me thanks

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: ILE to ILR

Post by sakura » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:30 pm

jerad wrote:i am grateful to see this forum where i could find so many resourceful things. i want a help please

i am 47 year old and my husband[was an asylum seeker] came to UK in 1999. then he sponsored me and my 5 children to UK with {Multi} Visa Family Reunion. on my passport, it states that Indefinite To Leave to Enter. this also had time limit. the time limit is from the date of the visa issued to the date of Passport expired. after 12 months later in UK, my passport and visa expired. after another 18 months [30 months altogether] in UK, my 3 of the children [under 18] and my husband applied for neutralization. then they became British national. i don't know whether me and my 2 other children [over 18] can apply, so we didn't.

now it's been 4 years since i came to UK. i want to ask you guys whether you could tell me the answers to these questions.

is there anyway that i could travel to europe countries without applying for visa?
will my 2 childrens [over 18] would be able to apply for british nationalism under my husband who is british now?

please help me thanks
It's not "british nationalism", it's "British naturalisation"....don't get the two confused!

When your passport and ILE expired, what did you do? Did you renew it or you didn't have any visa?

And what country are you from?

jerad
Newly Registered

Post by jerad » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:37 pm

ok, sorry
so it's british nutralisation.
my passport and visa expired on oct 2004
i am from srilanka
i renewed my passport in Srilanka Embassy in London, but they put renewal notice on one of the pages of my old passport. the notice says it expires in 2009. i didn't do anything about Visa.
In March 2007, i applied for schengen visa to go to belgium, i had no problem getting that visa, and i went to belgium and came back in a month.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:47 pm

my passport and visa expired
I have some good news for you! Whilst your passport might well have expired, your ILE visa did not! The relevance of the date on that ILE visa? Simply this ... it is the last date that you can use that visa to enter the UK for the first time. So assuming you did actually enter the UK before that stated date, the ILE visa is still valid ..... it has not expired!
Given that you are now married to a British Citizen the qualifying period is just 3 years, so you can apply now ..... assuming you have passed the Citizenship Test.
No, with just a Sri Lankan passport you would need a Schengen visa.
Absolutely no need ..... you have ILE!
No, but they can apply for Naturalisation in their own right once they have been in the UK for 5 years (or after 3 years if married to (or in Civil Partnership with) a British Citizen). They too will need to pass the Citizenship Test before making their applications.
John

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:14 am

It's worth bearing in mind that Home Office Travel Documents are not acceptable for entry to Schengen countries and no Schengen country will grant you a visa using this.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

jerad
Newly Registered

Post by jerad » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:20 pm

thanks a lot guys,
john that was so helpful and thank you very much for giving me good news.

just one more question.
whenever i take my passport to bank to check identity, they just say 'your visa is expired, and we can't do anything'.

when i take to home office or france border, they don't understand about ILE and they get confused. In some places they decided to arrest me, but they find out later.

i haven't taken citizenship test, i think i need to learn a lot more.

is there anything i could do before i apply for british nationalism?

steve567
Newly Registered

Post by steve567 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:40 pm

Visit here for naturalization process

As far as I know, citizenship test is not a big deal for average people

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:41 pm

For the second time, it's not British nationalism, it's British naturalisation.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.