ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation. Unmarried Partners.10 years.Broke up

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

leotravel
Newly Registered

Naturalisation. Unmarried Partners.10 years.Broke up

Post by leotravel » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:15 pm

How does one apply for naturalisation, if they qualified for ILR in 2007?First came to the UK in 2005 and after two years granted an ILR. However, we have been having some issues recently, we moved out to live at separate addresses and I am not sure our union will survive. What is my course of action in order to apply for naturalisation? I have been in this country for over 12 years now. Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalisation. Unmarried Partners.10 years.Broke up

Post by geriatrix » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:23 pm

Apply for naturalisation, as normal, based on residency in UK.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:24 pm

You qualify in your own right to naturalise as a British Citizen if you have ILR and you could have applied in 2010 after 5 years residence. You are no longer dependent on your partner (for visa/immigration purposes).

See the link below, it will explain things for you. You do need to do Life in the UK test and depending on your nationality and country you are from, you might need to do the English B1 level language requirement. You also need to make sure that you are within the absence limits.

FAQs Citizenship (click)

Have a read and let us know if you have any further questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:26 pm

leotravel wrote:How does one apply for naturalisation, if they qualified for ILR in 2007?First came to the UK in 2005 and after two years granted an ILR. However, we have been having some issues recently, we moved out to live at separate addresses and I am not sure our union will survive. What is my course of action in order to apply for naturalisation? I have been in this country for over 12 years now. Thanks
If you meet the critical requirements for the privilege of citizenship then simply go ahead & apply.
(There is no requirement to be married).
Married or not, working or not, all can contribute & you will be welcome aboard.

The forum FAQs will get you started:
british-citizenship/citizenship-faqs-co ... 95747.html

Good luck.

Edit: pipped to the post by CR001 8)
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:32 pm

noajthan wrote:Edit: pipped to the post by CR001 8)
Speedy fingers I have :wink:

As an aside, there is no concession as an Unmarried Partner when it comes to citizenship (i.e. 3 years residence for a spouse of British citizen). As an unmarried partner, you will always have to meet the requirements in your own right based on 5 years residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

TheMouseReturns

Post by TheMouseReturns » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:57 pm

CR001 wrote:As an unmarried partner, you will always have to meet the requirements in your own right based on 5 years residence.
A person in a civil partnership with a BC can also meet the same criteria as a person married to a BC. So it's not always the case for an unmarried partner as you suggest.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:23 pm

TheMouseReturns wrote:
CR001 wrote:As an unmarried partner, you will always have to meet the requirements in your own right based on 5 years residence.
A person in a civil partnership with a BC can also meet the same criteria as a person married to a BC. So it's not always the case for an unmarried partner as you suggest.
Yes, I am aware of that but the OP has indicated in the subject that he is an unmarried partner i.e. living in a relationship 'akin to marriage' for 2 years to qualify for a UPV. A civil partner is a bit different as there would be a legal document certifying the civil patnerhsip, which is not the case for a UPV.

Besides, it is irrelevant to this particular query as the OP qualifies in their own right.
Char (CR001 not Casa)