ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET(LR) - Self-Assessment discrepancies

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LoneRaider
Newly Registered

SET(LR) - Self-Assessment discrepancies

Post by LoneRaider » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:15 pm

I went to Liverpool for ILR (LR) Premium Service . I got Tier 1 (General) visa on 2010 and renewed on 2012. I have discrepancies on the document I sent to HO in 2012 and HMRC self-assessment.

They asked me to come for an interview on next week with all my self-assessment documents. I am resubmitting my self-assessments before going there.

Will that work? What's the success rate in similar cases?

If not, what options will I have going forward?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Self-Assessment discrepancies

Post by Wanderer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:20 pm

LoneRaider wrote:I went to Liverpool for ILR (LR) Premium Service . I got Tier 1 (General) visa on 2010 and renewed on 2012. I have discrepancies on the document I sent to HO in 2012 and HMRC self-assessment.

They asked me to come for an interview on next week with all my self-assessment documents. I am resubmitting my self-assessments before going there.

There's lots on here about tax discrepancies - UKVI is being very aggressive on this. If you are 'resubmitting' your SE forms I presume you have anomalies?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:24 pm

And if you have anomalies in your declared income to HO vs HMRC etc, this should have been corrected and the appropriate tax paid before applying for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

LoneRaider
Newly Registered

Post by LoneRaider » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:29 pm

CR001 wrote:And if you have anomalies in your declared income to HO vs HMRC etc, this should have been corrected and the appropriate tax paid before applying for ILR.
I regret for that. However, is there any chance of escape? I have a very respectable job.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:42 pm

LoneRaider wrote:I have a very respectable job.
:lol:

When does your current leave expire?
Tax amendments can take months to be updated ... Home Office may not wait till then to decide on your application.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

LoneRaider
Newly Registered

Post by LoneRaider » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:48 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
LoneRaider wrote:I have a very respectable job.
:lol:

When does your current leave expire?
Tax amendments can take months to be updated ... Home Office may not wait till then to decide on your application.
I have a well-paid job at this moment. My leave to remain already expired on 25th November. In case they refuse, I will have the right to appeal. That's why success rate on that scenario?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:53 pm

There is no right of appeal anymore ... only administrative review now.
Success rate with unsorted tax evasion / discrepancies / abnormalities / errors / mistakes / etc. in past years is currently going at 0%, according to the posts on this forum.

tungha1979
BANNED

Post by tungha1979 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:57 pm

LoneRaider wrote:I went to Liverpool for ILR (LR) Premium Service . I got Tier 1 (General) visa on 2010 and renewed on 2012. I have discrepancies on the document I sent to HO in 2012 and HMRC self-assessment.

did you sent the 2012 SA with your ILR application knowing that you have discrepancies? or did you not send your Self assessment 2012 documents at all and then they asked you to get it with you on interview?

LoneRaider
Newly Registered

Post by LoneRaider » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:12 pm

tungha1979 wrote: did you sent the 2012 SA with your ILR application knowing that you have discrepancies? or did you not send your Self assessment 2012 documents at all and then they asked you to get it with you on interview?
No, I didn't send any SA with my ILR application since I applied in 10 Years LR route. They asked me to come for an interview with all my SAs.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: SET(LR) - Self-Assessment discrepancies

Post by geriatrix » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:53 pm

Get your accountant to submit amended return. Include a cheque for any tax due.
Take evidence of both to the interview and request for favourable discretion - in light of the fact that you have taken corrective action (amendment) + intention to pay any outstanding tax (cheque).

Then, hope for the best.

bluecandi
BANNED

Post by bluecandi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:44 pm

Man why you did it. This is such a hot topic on this forum and you should have done it.

Rather going for interview do one thing Withdraw you application and submit amended returns. Once all figures updates which will take around 5-6 months then apply for ILR again.

If you want to talk to me I am leaving my number in your inbox.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:56 pm

bluecandi wrote:Rather going for interview do one thing Withdraw you application and submit amended returns. Once all figures updates which will take around 5-6 months then apply for ILR again.

Please read the whole thread. The OP cannot withdraw as his Tier 1 General visa has already expired on 25th November, so he has no option but to wait and see what HO say.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bluecandi
BANNED

Post by bluecandi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:59 pm

CR001 wrote:
bluecandi wrote:Rather going for interview do one thing Withdraw you application and submit amended returns. Once all figures updates which will take around 5-6 months then apply for ILR again.

Please read the whole thread. The OP cannot withdraw as his Tier 1 General visa has already expired on 25th November, so he has no option but to wait and see what HO say.
Hmmm ... Well submit returns and take the copies in interview. Pay everything in full.

LoneRaider
Newly Registered

Post by LoneRaider » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:10 pm

bluecandi wrote:Hmmm ... Well submit returns and take the copies in interview. Pay everything in full.
I can't read PMs.

To honest I didn't know they check previous docs. I was in an impression that ILR (LR) is granted straightaway. My bad.

My accountant is submitting all the SAs for last 4 years just to keep myself clear. However we won't have enough time to pay.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:17 pm

LoneRaider wrote:To honest I didn't know they check previous docs. I was in an impression that ILR (LR) is granted straightaway. My bad.
This is a misconception of many migrants who thought ILR (LR) is the safer route than 5 years Tier 1 G, so don't feel alone. Hopefully it works out for you (fingers crossed).
Char (CR001 not Casa)

LoneRaider
Newly Registered

Post by LoneRaider » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:25 pm

CR001 wrote: This is a misconception of many migrants who thought ILR (LR) is the safer route than 5 years Tier 1 G, so don't feel alone. Hopefully it works out for you (fingers crossed).
Exactly. Everyone I talked they assured me that ILR will be easy. That's why I never bothered to look any reason to investigate the procedure.

bluecandi
BANNED

Post by bluecandi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:15 pm

bluecandi wrote:
CR001 wrote:

Hmmm ... Well submit returns and take the copies in interview. Pay everything in full.
If your accountant has done the calculations then just call HMRC and make the payment. Your account will be in credit and when HMRC update their system all will be adjusted towards the amount owe.

LoneRaider
Newly Registered

Post by LoneRaider » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:18 am

bluecandi wrote: If your accountant has done the calculations then just call HMRC and make the payment. Your account will be in credit and when HMRC update their system all will be adjusted towards the amount owe.
How important to pay it in full? Is committing to pay not enough?

imii
- thin ice -

Post by imii » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:19 pm

any update on this ,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:43 pm

imii wrote:any update on this ,
This thread was only started 5 days ago, unlikely the OP has any update.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

guaravd

Post by guaravd » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:40 pm

LoneRaider wrote:
bluecandi wrote: If your accountant has done the calculations then just call HMRC and make the payment. Your account will be in credit and when HMRC update their system all will be adjusted towards the amount owe.
How would you prove to UKVI that you are committed to pay ?

I think your best bet in this situation is to follow what sushdmehta has recommended.

"Get your accountant to submit amended return. Include a cheque for any tax due.
Take evidence of both to the interview and request for favourable discretion - in light of the fact that you have taken corrective action (amendment) + intention to pay any outstanding tax (cheque)."

I'll also advise to add an accountant's letter with an explanation to the above

bluecandi
BANNED

Post by bluecandi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:45 pm

guaravd wrote:
LoneRaider wrote:

I think your best bet in this situation is to follow what sushdmehta has recommended.

"Get your accountant to submit amended return. Include a cheque for any tax due.
Take evidence of both to the interview and request for favourable discretion - in light of the fact that you have taken corrective action (amendment) + intention to pay any outstanding tax (cheque)."

I'll also advise to add an accountant's letter with an explanation to the above

Thats funny ' How would you prove to UKVI that you are committed to pay'.

There is something called Direct Debit payment plan which can be done either online or on phone with HMRC and just produce the evidence to caseworker if asked. I doubt case worker will because when we print our SA 302 it only shows the summary of that year not the payment we have made.

Regards

guaravd

Post by guaravd » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:56 pm

How important to pay it in full? Is committing to pay not enough?[/quote]

I'll also advise to add an accountant's letter with an explanation to the above[/quote]

Thats funny ' How would you prove to UKVI that you are committed to pay'.

There is something called Direct Debit payment plan which can be done either online or on phone with HMRC and just produce the evidence to caseworker if asked. I doubt case worker will because when we print our SA 302 it only shows the summary of that year not the payment we have made.

Regards[/quote]

Firstly for any sort of payment plans its important for HMRC to agree on it. For amendment cases specially which are couple of years old HMRC either ask for immediate payments or give you the time for upto 2 weeks to make the payment in full. Now in context to this specific situation the only way he can prove the intention to pay that too in limited time is by including a cheque for any tax due specially when he has got an interview to attend.

jimtoole
BANNED

Post by jimtoole » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:14 pm

HI mate,

How did your interview go. What did you do and what was the outcome.

Please post.

Regards,
Its hard to beat a person that never gives up.

muraxza
BANNED

Post by muraxza » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:13 pm

Hi experts

I had sent my 12/13 amendment and hmrc has reject to change the figures because this changing will not create any tax liability as it was a dividend income and full tax was paid on company accounts now the hmrc will acknowledge this and put this into the writing with revised tax calculations but won't change figure in sa302 do you think is it fair enough to show home office for ILR application??

Regards
Blocked Username