ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish woman+non-EU man=love or are we allowed?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Hazygirl
Newly Registered

Irish woman+non-EU man=love or are we allowed?

Post by Hazygirl » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:28 pm

Hi all

Have read lots of your posts and your patience is inspirational.

My question doesn't quite fit. I'm an Irish woman who has met a South American man 3 years ago; we are really getting serious now but the distance is difficult. I would love him to move here, as would he, but he doesn't fit any of the skill categories, etc. Even after 3 years, I am not keen on getting married immediately having failed at that once before (with an Irish man). But is there any choice? And even then is speedy immigration guaranteed? Is it easier for Irish nationals with non-Eu spouses vs other EU+non-EU? I am in a quandry. Don't want to get married for wrong reason, but have I a choice after all this time???

Why does love have to have restrictions? It is hard enough to find!!!

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:34 pm

Im afraid it's going to be a bit difficult for him to immigrate to Ireland unless you are married. After that it's a question of convincing the Irish embassy to issue him a spouse visa.

Hazygirl
Newly Registered

Post by Hazygirl » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:44 am

Thanks, I suspected as much.

weemac
Newly Registered

Similar Situation

Post by weemac » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:56 pm

Hello Hazygirl,

I'm finding myself in the same situation, an Irish man with an American girlfriend who've been long distancing or on temporary/short visa stays who want this horrible situation to end but having serious difficulty with Immigration especially as she doesn't fit the skilled job catagories.

Likewise for ourselves marriage is something that now feels to early but it doesn't look like there is many other options. How did/are you getting on with your current situation Hazygirl? Has anyone been thru a similar situation? If we married does it make a difference if it's here or in the US? Are spouse visa's issued quickly enough if it's for an Irish man and his wife looking to reside in Ireland?

Thanks folks, dealing with the Justice and Immigration departments is one of the most frustrating thing i've ever had to do in my life.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:52 pm

Hi weemac,

To be perfectly honest it would be easier for you to marry in the US. It's a long process to marry in Ireland (a MINIMUM of 90 days but usually longer) and it can be a pain in the arse. Depending on where in the US you'd marry, you could apply for a marraige license and get married the same day or next day. If you have no plans to settle in the US and intend to return to Ireland after the marriage, you can just fly over on a visa-waiver; no fiance visas or anything like that would be required.

Once married, your wife could enter Ireland on a visa-waiver and then make the application to remain as the spouse of an Irish citizen at the GNIB. I have no idea how long the GNIB takes; try searching through some of the other threads on here. Quite a few people have posted on wait times and I think it can vary a bit.

weemac
Newly Registered

Post by weemac » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:13 pm

GNIB - I'm taking it this is the Garda National Immigration Bureau?

The joys of dealing with these departments, we seem to be shuffled from justice to immigration to employment with no one wanting to take any responsibility, then next just passing us on.

Will have a look through the threads nows.

Thanks!

kevarms
Newly Registered

Post by kevarms » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:39 pm

yankeegirl wrote: Once married, your wife could enter Ireland on a visa-waiver and then make the application to remain as the spouse of an Irish citizen at the GNIB. I have no idea how long the GNIB takes; try searching through some of the other threads on here. Quite a few people have posted on wait times and I think it can vary a bit.
For spouse of an Irish citizen it takes a matter of minutes at the gardai station, assuming all the documents are in order.