ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa and entry clearance with criminal record

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mrsmagoos
Newly Registered

Spouse visa and entry clearance with criminal record

Post by mrsmagoos » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Hello All,
Please can anyone give me some advice.
Its a long story but the basis of it is this:

I am a British Citizen living in London, UK. I met my Albanian partner here in October 2012 and soon after he moved in with me.
He was an illegal entrant to the UK, a clandestine entrant and had not attempted to legalise his staus.
In December 2014 he was arrested for possession of a fake ID card. He had attempted to obtain an NI Number at a job centre appointment in August 2014 and the document was removed from him. 4 months after he was arrested at our home and remanded in custody. In January 2015 he was sentenced to 8 months in prison of which he served 4 before being moved to a detention centre.
During this time we made an application to remain under human rights article 8. This was refused as they HOME OFFICE said there wasn't enough proof of our relationship. (No joint bills etc)
He was released on bail from immigration detention and we made an application to marry in the UK.
Unfortunately after about 3 weeks of release he was detained again during signing and taken back to an immigration centre. After 3 weeks we paid for his ticket back home to Albania.
In September I went to Albania and married him. I returned to the UK , then went back to Albania last week and we made an application for a spouse visa in Albania a few days ago.
We have declared everything on the application and included all details of his conviction and actual immigration history. Our application was just submitted a few days ago.

What I would like to know is:
Does he have any chance of getting his spouse visa despite having a criminal record?
How long it is likely to take for a decision?
If refused what are the chances of success on appeal?

We are both very traumatised, stressed and depressed about being away from each other.

We know he did wrong but we feel it was exceptional circumstances, he wanted to work in the UK to support his family back home. He was naïve, not a career criminal and prison caused him great distress. He has paid his price.

Please can anyone give an indication of what the likely outcome will be.
Thank you in advance.

noajthan

Re: Spouse visa and entry clearance with criminal record

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:01 pm

mrsmagoos wrote:Hello All,
Please can anyone give me some advice.
Its a long story but the basis of it is this:

I am a British Citizen living in London, UK. I met my Albanian partner here in October 2012 and soon after he moved in with me.
He was an illegal entrant to the UK, a clandestine entrant and had not attempted to legalise his staus.

In September I went to Albania and married him. I returned to the UK , then went back to Albania last week and we made an application for a spouse visa in Albania a few days ago.
We have declared everything on the application and included all details of his conviction and actual immigration history. Our application was just submitted a few days ago.

What I would like to know is:
Does he have any chance of getting his spouse visa despite having a criminal record?
How long it is likely to take for a decision?
If refused what are the chances of success on appeal?

We are both very traumatised, stressed and depressed about being away from each other.

We know he did wrong but we feel it was exceptional circumstances, he wanted to work in the UK to support his family back home. He was naïve, not a career criminal and prison caused him great distress. He has paid his price.

Please can anyone give an indication of what the likely outcome will be.
Thank you in advance.
Not my area but until fellow members are able to contribute here's a starting point..

Marriage to a European citizen

If you marry a European citizen, you may qualify to remain in the UK irrespective of your immigration status (valid visa, visa expired, overstayer, illegal entrant, failed asylum seeker etc).

Marriage to a British citizen who worked in the European Union

If you marry a British citizen, who worked in the European Union, you may qualify to remain in the UK irrespective of your immigration status (valid visa, visa expired, overstayer, illegal entrant, failed asylum seeker etc).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:05 pm

And to add to noajthan's post, by European Union, it means any EU country but excluding the UK in terms of working.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Elliewifetoalbanian

Post by Elliewifetoalbanian » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:36 pm

I'm sorry I have no advice for you. But I wanted to say I really feel for you. I have recently married an Albanian man and going through the same struggle. However we are lucky he is in the UK and he was never prosecuted for a fake id. I wish you the best of luck and hope it works out. Malik and Malik are good Albanian solicitors based in London if you need one.

mrsmagoos
Newly Registered

Post by mrsmagoos » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:46 pm

Elliewifetoalbanian wrote:I'm sorry I have no advice for you. But I wanted to say I really feel for you. I have recently married an Albanian man and going through the same struggle. However we are lucky he is in the UK and he was never prosecuted for a bad quality id. I wish you the best of luck and hope it works out. Malik and Malik are good Albanian solicitors based in London if you need one.
Thanks, we used Malik and Malik to get him bail from prison and detention but did the visa application in Tirana.
Its devastating but I think unless he comes back illegally he has very little hope of us being together again. We are both heartbroken.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Difficult. Refusal under 320(2)(d) or 320(11) possible.

Have you considered moving with him and working in another EEA country?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mrsmagoos
Newly Registered

Post by mrsmagoos » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:38 pm

vinny wrote:Difficult. Refusal under 320(2)(d) or 320(11) possible.

Have you considered moving with him and working in another EEA country?
Thanks Vinny.
This is what I am scared of. The solicitor gave a 50/50 chance.
I have considered perhaps moving to Ireland. Both my parents are Irish so I am entitled to an Irish passport anyway. But I have a house, job, kids here so its last resort.
I'm trying to be hopeful.
If refused how likely is he to win on an appeal under HR act , Article 8? Any idea?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:54 pm

Not sure if you can exercise EEA treaty rights in Ireland, if you are also an Irish citizen.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:37 pm

But she could revoke her British citizenship though. It may have similar effect, as the OP is clearly an Irish Citizen.

I think is was reckless disregard of your application fee, for the lawyer to advice you to apply under appendix FM, absent a child and in the light of the immigration history.

At this stage I will not say 50/50. I will say 90/10 in favour of a refusal.

50/50 may be the case at probably on appeal.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

mrsmagoos
Newly Registered

NO REFUSAL LETTER WITH RETURNED PASSPORT AND DOCS

Post by mrsmagoos » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi All,

My Albanian husband applied for a spouse visa from Albania to join me in the Uk only 2 weeks ago.
I suspect he has cancelled the application because I received an email from the Tls site saying application has been assessed and decided and docs would be returned within a couple of days.

He says he received passport and docs 2 days ago but there was no letter of refusal.

I think he may have cancelled it.
It has come to light that there may actually be someone else in his life in Albania.
How will I know? I lost the log in details for the tls contact site and every time I email they just send generic email telling me to request a new password which isn't working.

He just isn't being honest about too many things so although he asked me to chase up why he was refused I don't believe him and now think he cancelled the application.
No NHS money has been refunded to my account.

Does every refusal come with a letter with the docs returned or could a letter come separately after the docs are returned?

I understand if its refused I would get back the NHS surcharge.
But I believe if it's just cancelled there is no refund.

Please can anyone advise.

noajthan

Re: NO REFUSAL LETTER WITH RETURNED PASSPORT AND DOCS

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:41 pm

mrsmagoos wrote:Hi All,

My Albanian husband applied for a spouse visa from Albania to join me in the Uk only 2 weeks ago.
I suspect he has cancelled the application because I received an email from the Tls site saying application has been assessed and decided and docs would be returned within a couple of days.

He says he received passport and docs 2 days ago but there was no letter of refusal.

I think he may have cancelled it.
It has come to light that there may actually be someone else in his life in Albania.
How will I know? I lost the log in details for the tls contact site and every time I email they just send generic email telling me to request a new password which isn't working.

Please can anyone advise.
After all the pain and angst in your other posts, sorry to hear about this development.

I think a letter may come separately from the documents; thinking back to spouse visa I seem to recall that's what happened in my family's case.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:45 pm

I think you need to speak to this guy. The conclusions you are making are quite problematic in the absence of tangible evidence.

Ask him.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

mrsmagoos
Newly Registered

Post by mrsmagoos » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:57 pm

Obie wrote:I think you need to speak to this guy. The conclusions you are making are quite problematic in the absence of tangible evidence.

Ask him.
I have asked him. He saying he didn't cancel it but a few days before I received email saying application had been assessed he was asking for the reference number. He said in an argument he was going to cancel it but then said he wasn't.
Its transpired he has another girl.
To say I'm devastated is an understatement.
But I just want to know if he did cancel the visa.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:26 pm

No one can say for sure whether he cancelled the application, but it does seem that the NHS surcharge is often refunded before the letter of refusal and documents are received. If it has been cancelled, unfortunately the application fee + the NHS surcharge will be lost.
However, cancellation doesn't seem consistent with notification that the application has been 'assessed'.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

mrsmagoos
Newly Registered

Post by mrsmagoos » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:01 pm

Casa wrote:No one can say for sure whether he cancelled the application, but it does seem that the NHS surcharge is often refunded before the letter of refusal and documents are received. If it has been cancelled, unfortunately the application fee + the NHS surcharge will be lost.
However, cancellation doesn't seem consistent with notification that the application has been 'assessed'.
I also doubt the application would have been assessed so quickly - within 2 weeks.
I hear stories of people waiting 6 months +.
Why would the docs and passport be returned so quickly if not cancelled?

mrsmagoos
Newly Registered

Post by mrsmagoos » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:28 pm

Hi Guys, an update. He did cancel. He withdrew the application unbeknown to me!
Great news eh? Waste of time and money.
But he has another girl in Italy and is on his way to her now, maybe to marry and apply for an EU permit.
Oh well, we live and learn or so they say.
Merry Xmas to you all.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:46 pm

Probably not what you want to hear but at least you weren't married and can move on. People will try anything and make enormous promises to get a visa for the UK, there are 1000's of stories about this.

I feel sorry for the next girl to be honest :shock:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:23 pm

mrsmagoos wrote:Hi Guys, an update. He did cancel. He withdrew the application unbeknown to me!
But he has another girl in Italy and is on his way to her now, maybe to marry and apply for an EU permit.
Merry Xmas to you all.
I can imagine the hurt you must feel from being played along for so long by someone who clearly wasn't an 'innocent abroad' after all.

Probably nothing much will help how you feel at moment.

Wish you the best.

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Post by Zee ali » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:13 pm

noajthan wrote:
mrsmagoos wrote:Hi Guys, an update. He did cancel. He withdrew the application unbeknown to me!
Merry Xmas to you all.
I can imagine the hurt you must feel from being played along for so long by someone who clearly wasn't an 'innocent abroad' after all.

Probably nothing much will help how you feel at moment.

Wish you the best.
Feel sorry for u and wish u best of luck for future

BUT I am surprised how can someone believe and trust in this sort of guy.

In December 2014 he was arrested for possession of a bad quality ID card.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided