ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian X Visa or E Tourist Visa without surrender certificat

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Nitro

Indian X Visa or E Tourist Visa without surrender certificat

Post by Nitro » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:37 pm

Hello experts,

I have recently acquired british passport but urgently need to travel to india during christmas holidays. I still go my current indian passport and the expired passport.

The OCI process appears to be taking few weeks/months. So had few questions as below.

1. Can i travel with my current indian passport and use my ILR card and return via british passport? Will i be penalised for that later whilst applying for OCI? I am aware that there is 3 months grace period but VFS staff told me i cannot travel on indian passport once getting british passport.

2. If the above is not possible or not recommended, can i apply for X visa and go to india and then comeback and surrender the passport?

3. Or can I apply for Evisa and travel? For 2 and 3 points, is surrender certificate must?

Thanks in advance
Best regards
Nitro

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Indian X Visa or E Tourist Visa without surrender certif

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:46 pm

I have moved your post to this 'other countries' forum as more appropriate here for advice.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:54 pm

Thanks CR001,

Please can you advise on the above??

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:04 pm

I will answer the issues relating to exiting and entering the UK as I am not familiar with Indian processes.

You can exit the UK on either passport and re-enter on your UK passport and it should not be a problem. Bear in mind that your ILR is invalid as it gets cancelled once British citizenship is granted and recently a member posted about a new'ish requirement that BRPs now need to be returned to HO once naturalised.

You don't mention when you attended your ceremony and received your certificate. The 3 months grace period for Indian citizens starts on the date you obtained your naturalisation certificate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:10 pm

CR001 wrote:I will answer the issues relating to exiting and entering the UK as I am not familiar with Indian processes.

You can exit the UK on either passport and re-enter on your UK passport and it should not be a problem. Bear in mind that your ILR is invalid as it gets cancelled once British citizenship is granted and recently a member posted about a new'ish requirement that BRPs now need to be returned to HO once naturalised.

You don't mention when you attended your ceremony and received your certificate. The 3 months grace period for Indian citizens starts on the date you obtained your naturalisation certificate.
Date on my naturalisation certificate is 23rd Nov 2015. So i have 3 months from that date to surrender Indian passport. Well when i exit UK i wont be having any issues. Can i enter india with the Indian passport and ILR and the re-enter with same. Will the BRP flag up is invalid at the check-in desk or immigration desk in india?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:45 pm

You enter India with your Indian passport. ILR BRP is irrelevant to and has nothing to do with India.

When you leave India, you can show ILR, unlikely the airline check in is linked directly to HO database. They only need to see that you have the right to enter the UK. When you get to the UK, you can re-enter with your British Passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

s0787671
United Arab Emirates

Post by s0787671 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:05 am

I have a similar issue. I naturalised on 18 Nov 2015 and my british passport appointment is on Dec 18th. But I want to travel to India on 18th Feb. But which means I have to surrender my indian paspsort first and then apply for a Indian visa for this travel, as OCI will take a long time to complete.

SO please suggest is applying for Indian Visa quickest way to Travel to India, as I dont think Indian Embassy will be able to generate Surrender letter and OCI in a months time. They will take their sweet time on these things. At least thats what I have heard about Indian Embassy in UK.
Bharat

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:52 pm

The surrender certificate takes about one working week at the VFS office in Goswell Road, Islington (mileage in other locations may vary). The surrender certificate requires copies of the applicant's British passport.

Former Indian citizens can apply for an entry X-visa that is valid for between six months and five years. That typically takes one working week as well. It requires the original surrender certificate.

So, you should be sorted in two working weeks after you get your British passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

s0787671
United Arab Emirates

Post by s0787671 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I have had two different replies one from Indian Embassy and second one from VFS dealing with indian surrender and visa.

Indian Embassy:

I was told that I could submit surrender application and application for visit visa at the same time, but the processing of application will be on basis of surrender of passport.

Vfs:

Told me that the surrender certificate is required for visa application.

So I am not sure whom to believe..
Bharat

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:30 am

Believe both .. since both are correct.

and the Indian embassy's response "processing of application will be on basis of surrender of passport" mirrors VFS response.

In simple words, no visa application processing without surrender certificate!! It is up to you whether you wish to apply for both together, or separately (in the correct order :wink:).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

kvishal23
Newly Registered

Post by kvishal23 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:27 pm

any update on your situation, i am in a similar situation and not sure if i surrender my son's indian passport first or do it simultaneously ( surrender and applying for indian visa - eoturisit)