ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EU family member of an EU Citizen EU1 + C Tourist visa

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jkmonto
Newly Registered

Non-EU family member of an EU Citizen EU1 + C Tourist visa

Post by Jkmonto » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Hello everyone,

I would thank anyone for any advice on my current problem.

My main question is if I will be able to apply for a residence card/permit with after having entered Ireland with a C type tourist visa. Here the details.

My wife is Finnish. I'm Colombian, I normally would need a Visa to enter Ireland, however I have a Residence permit for a family member of a EU citizen issued by Denmark. We live in Denmark. In theory with this residence permit I would be allowed to travel to Ireland without a Visa if I'm travelling together with my Wife or to join her.

She was applying for a job in Ireland, in a really big IT firm (don't know if it matters), if she was to get the job she would have to be there by the beginning of January but I still have to work in Denmark. So we can't travel together at the same time.

I went to the embassy of Ireland in Copenhagen and asked: Can I travel ALONE to join my wife with my residence permit of family of a EU citizen. The answer was: YES, in theory, but is very likely that the immigration officer at the airport is not aware of your rights and refuses you to enter, We (the embassy) suggest you to get a VISA for an EU family Member.

The problem was that she didn't have the job yet. So I applied for a visa as if we were going just for tourism.

I got the VISA and it says Visit TOURIST, it doesn't say anything about the EU family. Now my wife got the job and we are moving. We still can't travel together, I'll join her afterwards. The reason why they gave me this TOURIST visa was that is the only visa that allows me to enter alone to Ireland. Besides the D visa that is very difficult to get.

I don't know if I should tell them at the airport, that even if I have my tourist visa, I want to make use of the EU mobility rights of my wife and that I come to join her, I would have her employment contract, No PPS or Permanent address yet.

Or should I just don't say anything and enter with the tourist visa? I don't know if at the airport the will put a Stamp or something that will forbid me to apply for a residence card in Ireland, then I would have to come back to Denmark and start all over again.

I know it is a complicated situation... HELP!

Thank you in advance

noajthan

Re: Non-EU family member of an EU Citizen EU1 + C Tourist v

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:44 pm

Jkmonto wrote:Hello everyone,

I would thank anyone for any advice on my current problem.

My main question is if I will be able to apply for a residence card/permit with after having entered Ireland with a C type tourist visa. Here the details.

I got the VISA and it says Visit TOURIST, it doesn't say anything about the EU family. Now my wife got the job and we are moving. We still can't travel together, I'll join her afterwards. The reason why they gave me this TOURIST visa was that is the only visa that allows me to enter alone to Ireland. Besides the D visa that is very difficult to get.

I don't know if I should tell them at the airport, that even if I have my tourist visa, I want to make use of the EU mobility rights of my wife and that I come to join her, I would have her employment contract, No PPS or Permanent address yet.

Or should I just don't say anything and enter with the tourist visa? I don't know if at the airport the will put a Stamp or something that will forbid me to apply for a residence card in Ireland, then I would have to come back to Denmark and start all over again.

I know it is a complicated situation... HELP!

Thank you in advance
Purely from reading other posts in forum (so I may be wrong), many people use a short stay 'C' visit visa.

It seems you simply enter the country with your visitor visa;
then once in Eire, start filing papers with Irish authorities to turn your status into that of a dependent family member of EEA national.

:idea: Alternately, why not have your spouse join you back in home country (Denmark) for a day or weekend trip & then fly into Ireland together :?:
ie on arrival, present your EU directive credentials.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:22 pm

The situation is not complicated. You are seeking to make it complicated. You do not need the other visa you applied for as your wife is in Ireland and you will be joining her.

Once you have been in Ireland for 3 months, you can apply for Residence card. As simple as that.

If visa was required it would have been a short stay C visa, which allows you the 3 months stay before you become entitled to apply for Residence Card.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Fa ... 20citizens
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Jkmonto
Newly Registered

Post by Jkmonto » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:58 am

Hi guys,

Thank you for the tips. We already have bought tickets for coming one day to Denmark together and then flying back to Ireland the same day. Just in case I have a problem when registering for the residence.

I'll update the post next year when I arrive!

Thank you again! Happy holidays !

Hamza2013
Member of Standing

Post by Hamza2013 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:20 am

Hi JKmonto,

Please make sure you have a proof of relationship to show immigration office on your arrival.