ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Tuition Fees on Stamp 4 EUFAM

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dhoward
Newly Registered

EU Tuition Fees on Stamp 4 EUFAM

Post by dhoward » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:36 pm

Hi

I am a Canadian citizen who has just moved here with my European partner. I have applied for the EU1 Stamp 4 EUFAM visa to stay here for 5 years. If all goes well I should have the stamp by this summer. I am also hoping to attend university in the fall here in Ireland. I've seen quite a bit of different information regarding the fees for students with the EUFAM stamp. I've read in many places that international students with this stamp should be treated the same as an EU citizen and only have to pay EU fees. I've also read that I will have to have been living in the EU for 3 years to qualify for EU fees.

Would anybody be able to clear this up? There are a couple threads I've found in these forums that bring up the same issue but it seems as if nobody was able to give a black and white answer. I've even emailed a couple Universities in Dublin and they seem to be just as confused and unable to give me a proper answer as well. Quite frankly, international fees are insanely expensive and unaffordable for me. I would love to just have a yes or no answer from someone, so I can decide on whether I should apply or not. The schools are just telling me to apply and they can asses my fees at a later date.

So if anyone has any clue on how this works or has any experience with this same issue, some insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

dhoward
Newly Registered

Re: EU Tuition Fees on Stamp 4 EUFAM

Post by dhoward » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:43 pm

In chapter ten of this document it clearly states that family members of EU citizens are entitled to the same rights as the nationals of their host country. Which included education and tuition fees.

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies/ci ... nt_low.pdf

I'm confused on why this is such a difficult question to get answered. One would think it would be a yes or no answer.

seekingadvice87

Post by seekingadvice87 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi there,

Basically you have to have been ordinarily resident (not counting student visas...) in the EU for a minimum of three years prior to your application to qualify for EU fees and this is the same for EU citizens as well. For example, an EU citizen who's lived outside the EU for a couple of years and then returns to the EU will be assessed in the same way and most likely pay fees. So you're still being treated equally as an EU citizen would.

Also, depends on what you're applying for like if you've already done an undergrad in another EU country, you won't then qualify for free fees and would have to pay EU fees depending on your status again. That's how I understand it.

dhoward
Newly Registered

Post by dhoward » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:21 pm

OK, good to know. Thanks for the info.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:49 pm

dhoward wrote:Hi

I am a Canadian citizen who has just moved here with my European partner. I have applied for the EU1 Stamp 4 EUFAM visa to stay here for 5 years. If all goes well I should have the stamp by this summer. I am also hoping to attend university in the fall here in Ireland. I've seen quite a bit of different information regarding the fees for students with the EUFAM stamp. I've read in many places that international students with this stamp should be treated the same as an EU citizen and only have to pay EU fees. I've also read that I will have to have been living in the EU for 3 years to qualify for EU fees.

So if anyone has any clue on how this works or has any experience with this same issue, some insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Seems to be explained quite well here:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/ed ... /fees.html
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

imrann89
Newly Registered

Post by imrann89 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:17 am

its same rule apply for host country as well