ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can my child get citizenship.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

AntCoe

Can my child get citizenship.

Post by AntCoe » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:27 pm

Hello All.

I am a british citizen by naturalisation after my son was born. I was born in South Africa. My child was born in 2001 (South Africa) and is now 15 years old. He has never been to the UK. His mother and i never married but i am named as his father on his birth certificate.

Can i apply on his behalf for BC ? I would like him to stay with me permanently and to further his education here in the UK.

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can my child get citizenship.

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:41 pm

No he cannot as he does not qualify for British Citizenship if he was born BEFORE you became British.

Even for a child settlement visa, you would have to prove with documentary evidence that you have sole responsibility.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:38 am

You son isn't a British Citizen, because you were not when he was born.

Who does he live with at the moment in South Africa?
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

AntCoe

Post by AntCoe » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:49 am

He lives with his mother. Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:00 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

AntCoe

Post by AntCoe » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:06 am

What about a dependant visa or any route that will lead to BC ?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:11 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:52 am

Very, very unlikely. He lives with his mother, so is excluded as a child of a BC because you don't have sole responsibility.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:47 am

In addition to the advice you have been given, visa/BC applications for children born to unmarried parents, now generally requires DNA evidence from the father.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.