ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

DV-2009 country eligibility

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MartinKing
Newly Registered

DV-2009 country eligibility

Post by MartinKing » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:43 pm

Dear expert members,

I hope you will be able to help me in my enquiry.

I am thinking of applying to DV-2009. I have two choices of applying considering that I was born in one country but I hold the citizenship of another (I do not have dual citizenship!). Both countries are eligible (Kuwait and Syria). I have been checking the number of accepted DV applications during the last 5 years. While Syrian applicants managed to have a higher number of successful visas overall, people applying from Kuwait managed to reach an equal level of success only this year. Taking the pervious factors and the population difference into consideration (Syria population is around 20 mil. While Kuwait pop. is around 2 mil), while country shall I choose for eligibility?

Many thanks
M.K.
:D

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:15 pm

You may apply based upon the country of your birth, not your citizenship.

If you are born in an ineligible country, you may claim the country of birth for one of your parents (under certain circumstances) if it happens to be an eligible country.

You may also claim the country of birth of your spouse, making sure to abide by certain conditions.

SEE:

-> US immigration -> DV-2009 Green Card Lottery
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=19197

the Admin

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:16 am

Judging on the numbers of successful visas and those of likely applicants, I would say that Kuwait looks like the better bet. Kuwait's population is actually 3 m, but most Kuwait citizens are unlikely to apply, so the 2 m figure seems about right.