ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Regarding child born in India. (father british)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

prasadnadendla
Newly Registered

Regarding child born in India. (father british)

Post by prasadnadendla » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:18 pm

Me and my wife living in UK since 2009

I am took British nationalization in SEP-2015 and holding British passport now. Surrender Indian passport and OCI application in progress. My wife is holding ILR (VISA), obviously holding Indian passport. For parental care, my wife is planning to give birth to our baby in India. (She will be travelling to India March-2015 to FEB-2016)

1) Is child will automatically eligible for applying British passport from India?
2) Child must be having Indian passport or not before applying British passport?
3) How many days it will take to get British passport if apply from India?
4) While travelling back to UK (child), will he need any exist certificate ..etc. since he/she was not holding any india visa
5) Where can I get information about process (at vfs site)?

I am looking possible answers to above queries, please help me on this.
Apart from above queries, please advise best process to follow for above scenario like quick and easy
process not to have disruption to travel back to UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Regarding child born in India. (father british)

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:31 pm

(She will be travelling to India March-2015 to FEB-2016)
Are you sure about your dates?

1. Yes
2. Not necessary.
3. 6-12 months for applications from India. You could do Indian passport and CoE or RoA too, but this can also take a few months.
4. Probably
5. Please post your queries on the Indian process in Other Countries (click) for advice.
please advise best process to follow for above scenario like quick and easy
Have the baby in the UK, apply for a British Passport using the 1 week fast track service, apply for a Indian visa for the child.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

prasadnadendla
Newly Registered

Post by prasadnadendla » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:37 pm

sorry date I put it as incorrectly.

It supposed to be March-2016 to FEB-2017.

I am sure about dates (March-2016 to Feb-2017)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:29 am

prasadnadendla wrote: My wife is holding ILR (VISA), obviously holding Indian passport.
Errr, not necessarily obvious at all.

2) Because the child has a British parent and an Indian parent and is due to be born in India, it will have both British citizenship and Indian citizenship at birth.

If you get a British passport for the child,the child will automatically lose Indian citizenship.

If you get an Indian passport and then a CoE-RoA, the child can keep both citizenships until either it attains the age of majority or gets a British passport.

Also see this thread: British Passport or COE-ROA on Indian Passport?
CR001 wrote:
please advise best process to follow for above scenario like quick and easy
Have the baby in the UK, apply for a British Passport using the 1 week fast track service, apply for a Indian visa for the child.
+1. A lot of time would be saved if the child is born in the UK and then travels to India.

Also, if the child is born in the UK, it would be a British citizen otherwise than by descent and can pass its citizenship to its own children. If the child is born in India, the child will be British, but it will not be able to pass on British citizenship to its children born outside the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.