ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship ceremony timing

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

anniecc

Citizenship ceremony timing

Post by anniecc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:53 pm

Assuming a naturalisation application is approved, what's the time limit for when the naturalisation ceremony has to be completed? I seem to remember reading there was one, but now can't find that information anywhere.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Citizenship ceremony timing

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:59 pm

anniecc wrote:Assuming a naturalisation application is approved, what's the time limit for when the naturalisation ceremony has to be completed? I seem to remember reading there was one, but now can't find that information anywhere.
You must book your ceremony within 21 days of receiving your letter of confirmation and attend the ceremony within 90 days.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:03 pm

Casa wrote:You must book your ceremony within 21 days of receiving your letter of confirmation and attend the ceremony within 90 days.
That's great, thanks. I applied for naturalisation in December and need to travel in April for a family wedding. If I have received the naturalisation approval letter but have yet to complete a citizenship ceremony, will I be ok to travel on my existing (foreign) passport and BRP, and attend the citizenship ceremony when I return (provided it's within 90 days)?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:05 pm

Yes you can.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:11 pm

Thanks, that's a relief. Depending on how long the naturalisation application takes, I'm not sure I will have enough time to obtain a British passport before I need to travel.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:12 pm

anniecc wrote: will I be ok to travel on my existing (foreign) passport and BRP?
You may want to read this topic. Travelling using your BRP may no longer be possible based on the latest guidance.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 00805.html

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:13 pm

The BRP doesn't have to be returned until after the citizenship ceremony. (within 5 days). annicee intends to travel before the ceremony.
(Casa, not CR001)

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:16 pm

Casa wrote:The BRP doesn't have to be returned until after the citizenship ceremony. (within 5 days).
Thanks Casa, I only observed that the OP was travelling before the ceremony after posting my reply... In that case there shouldn't be any issue at all.

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:12 am

Yes, that's why I posted my original question, because I read the other thread indicating I would need to return my BRP immediately after the ceremony.