ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question for Saffas, ausies and kiwis

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

PaulM

Question for Saffas, ausies and kiwis

Post by PaulM » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:49 pm

Hi,

I'd like to here from any of you that have bought a 'smoothie' package from Smooth Group...ie.. where they help with opening of bank account and applicatio for NI number. Is it a real service and is it contingent upon a person getting other products/ services from them? I just paid 490 South African rands for the smoothie and have that sinking feeling (bought at STA travel).. The reason I directed it specifically at SA, Aus and NZ is that these ar the 3 countries this product is available to by this company.

Cheers
Paul

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:47 pm

Paul,
I sorry to hear that you have spent your hard earned money on something you can do equally with ease, when you arrive in the UK.
NI you phone and make a appointment no issuse
Bank account, no problems just take your passport and a few details like who you are working for and a address to any bank ie HSBC or Barclays and they will set you up.
I beleive from experince the above two banks are the helpfull.
Good Luck

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:49 pm

Thanks for your reply.

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:31 am

Siggi must have had a better experience than me getting set up in the UK!

Getting an NI appointment is very difficult, the phone number is always busy, emails to the address provided often bounce, and you have to go to an NI centre somewhere far away (during business hours) with your documents for the appointment.

I've also heard ppl have lots of difficulties with bank accounts here because you can't get one without a job, and you can't get a job without a bank account. I had a UK bank account before arriving, so avoided this hassle. My friend who used a similar service to yours also was given a higher limit on his new credit card than those of us who opened accounts directly.

So whether a service is "value" depends how much hassle you are willing to go through relative to the cost. I'd definitely have considered using one if I knew how much hassle the NI number was going to be, it would be worth it just for that.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:53 am

Opening a bank account in UK is an absolute nightmare
Magsi

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:01 pm

I found opening a bank account to be very easy at Barclays.

They wanted: passport, letter of appointment and proof of address. Took about 30 mins, and then a week till the cheque book and debit card arrived in the post.

Maybe some banks make it easier than others? I had an existing account with a SA bank, not sure if that helped.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm

OK Goldfish and Magsi,
I was either lucky or I had all my duck in a row!

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:28 pm

I'm getting refunded from STA travel, so will have to open up account on my own etc.

mads

Post by mads » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:08 pm

I had no problems with opening a bank account at halifax. I supplied a letter from the lady I was staying at, my passport and £20 to open the account. Initially I had a "savings" first which means you can't chip and pin at the shops but as soon as the money starting going into the account when I started working, it was upgraded.
As for a NI number, I was lucky that I had one before so just restarted it again.
Partner: British Citizen; Me: SA with ILR (qualified through spouse visa). Updated March 2009 - naturalised.