ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel after ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

eddybaloch

Travel after ceremony

Post by eddybaloch » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:17 am

Dear fellow members,

I am expecting approval letter any day now. I shall be grateful if you can help me with the following queries:

1- How many days do I get from the approval letter date to book ceremony?

2- How many days does it take (on average) to receive your first passport (assuming used check and send through post office)? I know gov website says 6 weeks but I've heard from friends that it is considerably quicker.

I am due to travel to Asia in 4 weeks time and I'll be out of country for a period of 3 weeks so very concerned about this as I have now read that you must return the BRP within 5 days of attending ceremony.

Thanks you in advance,
Eddy B.

noajthan

Re: Travel after ceremony

Post by noajthan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:22 am

eddybaloch wrote:Dear fellow members,

I am expecting approval letter any day now. I shall be grateful if you can help me with the following queries:

1- How many days do I get from the approval letter date to book ceremony?

2- How many days does it take (on average) to receive your first passport (assuming used check and send through post office)? I know gov website says 6 weeks but I've heard from friends that it is considerably quicker.

I am due to travel to Asia in 4 weeks time and I'll be out of country for a period of 3 weeks so very concerned about this as I have now read that you must return the BRP within 5 days of attending ceremony.

Thanks you in advance,
Eddy B.
You are not a citizen until you receive the naturalisation certificate at the ceremony.
The ceremony needs to happen within 3 months of receiving approval letter.

Suggest arrange ceremony for when you get back; ie travel on old passport & BRP.

1) 21 days (from memory)

2) Approx. 4 - 6 weeks
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:26 am

@noajthan the OP is correct. Unfortunately the new regulation now requires the holder to return the BRP within 5 days of the ceremony, or face a £1,000. I believe this instruction is now included in the new AN form which has just been released.
The ceremony must be booked within 21 days of receiving the approval letter and attended within 90 days.
Here's a thread currently running on the forum:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 00805.html
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

eddybaloch

Post by eddybaloch » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:31 am

Brilliant. Thanks you very much. I will book my ceremony after my return then.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:44 am

Casa wrote:@noajthan the OP is correct. Unfortunately the new regulation now requires the holder to return the BRP within 5 days of the ceremony, or face a £1,000. I believe this instruction is now included in the new AN form which has just been released.

@Casa yes, understood.

I'm suggesting OP defers the ceremony (within permitted timelines).
He can then use BRP in usual way, before the ceremony.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:47 am

eddybaloch wrote:Brilliant. Thanks you very much. I will book my ceremony after my return then.
Suggest:
Book it for a future date - book before you travel..
Travel.
Then attend ceremony when you get back (within 3 months limit).

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:50 am

noajthan wrote:
Casa wrote:@noajthan the OP is correct. Unfortunately the new regulation now requires the holder to return the BRP within 5 days of the ceremony, or face a £1,000. I believe this instruction is now included in the new AN form which has just been released.

@Casa yes, understood.

I'm suggesting OP defers the ceremony (within permitted timelines).
He can then use BRP in usual way, before the ceremony.
Gotcha. That would work. :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

mkm12
Newly Registered

Post by mkm12 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:18 am

Now with this new rule of returning BRP within 5 days, I am wondering if a person can travel on foreign passport and enter UK with citizenship certificate only, if British Passport has not arrived yet ??? (In few cases entering UK may not be a problem but leaving other country to UK as they may not accept that I am allowed without UK passport or Visa)

Plus this new law, is it applicable on all or the on those who will be using new AN form?

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:56 pm

@mkm12: If you have a passport which doesn't require a visa to come to the UK you should be fine. If you are a national of a country that is required to have a visa for the UK, you would probably be able to enter the UK on your old passport and naturalisation certificate, but I highly doubt that the airlines would let you board your flight to the UK in the first place as they will be worried about being fined.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.