ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI - Indian Born Abroad

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pearldew
Newly Registered

OCI - Indian Born Abroad

Post by pearldew » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:52 am

Good Morning,

I have a query regarding the OCI application.

I am an Indian citizen through descent and was born outside India as was my mum who is also Indian by descent. I have lived in India for a short period from 12th grade till Graduation and worked there for 3 years before I moved to the UK.

With regards to the documents required for OCI, would I need to show my birth certificate as this is one document I do not have (doh!)

Will this be enough to satisfy the authorities:

1) Copy of British Passport
2) Copy of Naturalisation Certificate
3) Original Surrender Certificate
4) 2 Printed Application forms
5) Declaration form
6) Degree certificate
7) 2 Photos and 2 Special Delivery Envelopes

Thank you for taking the time in reading this post. Any help or guidance is highly appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Pearldew

secret.simon

Re: OCI - Indian Born Abroad

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:44 am

None of these documents proves that you were an Indian citizen by descent.

Typically the country where you were born will be able to provide you with a copy of your birth certificate. In the UK, it is the General Register Office. Try to find out if the country of your birth provides an equivalent service.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:28 am

pearldew wrote:3) Original Surrender Certificate
You don't need any other document to prove erstwhile Indian citizenship if you have surrender certificate (of an Indian passport).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

pearldew
Newly Registered

Post by pearldew » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:24 am

Secret Simon it would take ages to get a birth certificate (I have started enquiring into the procedures but it's not really straightforward)

Sush indeed I do have a surrender certificate of my Indian passport.

I guess there is no other documentary proof that I could provide and hopefully the list above should be sufficient.

Best Wishes,

Pearldew