ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration News 2008 ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cheekyvirgin

Immigration News 2008 ?

Post by cheekyvirgin » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:18 pm

Home Office Minister Liam Byrne

Speaking to an audience drawn from education, business and local government, Home Office Minister Liam Byrne set out a 12-month programme of sweeping changes for Britain's immigration systems and strategy.

In the next year, he said, 'our immigration system will have changed out of all recognition.'

From next year, a points-based system, modelled on Australia's immigration programme, will ensure that only those who have something to offer the country will be admitted to work and study.

So what changes are we going to face in immigration specially for the HSMP and Students policies ?

magata

Post by magata » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:45 am

Interesting!

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:04 am

I would like to know if this will affect UK Ancestry visa.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Re: Immigration News 2008 ?

Post by thirdwave » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:03 am

cheekyvirgin wrote:Home Office Minister Liam Byrne

Speaking to an audience drawn from education, business and local government, Home Office Minister Liam Byrne set out a 12-month programme of sweeping changes for Britain's immigration systems and strategy.

In the next year, he said, 'our immigration system will have changed out of all recognition.'

From next year, a points-based system, modelled on Australia's immigration programme, will ensure that only those who have something to offer the country will be admitted to work and study.

So what changes are we going to face in immigration specially for the HSMP and Students policies ?
Try this..

http://www.tier12345.co.uk/tier4.html

I think the changes would actually work in favour of highly skilled individuals as they would be eligible for ILR after 2 years under the new system. However, we`ll have to wait and see what disciplines/trades would qualify for the route. Its quite possible that many fields, say for instance IT or Medicine, where there is a surplus of workers ATM, may be excluded from the list. I wonder what would happen to people already on 2 year HSMPs once the new system is in place. Many might find that their skills are no longer is short supply & may have difficulties extending their HSMPs/Tier 1 visas after the 2 year period is up..

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:20 am

PaulM,
The Ancestral visa route will remain outsided of the new point scheme, this was very clear stated earlier this year on the HO web site and the outlines of the new tier system.
In fact I see that in Tier 2 group, you could become eligible for ILR after two years so a Tier 2 person could become a British National within three years, I dont think so.
That would be grossly unfair towards Ancestral visa holders having to wait for six years before appying for BN.
PaulM, the HO changes most of it's rule's and regulation every year around April , so if you are going to apply fro a AC visa do it sooner than later.
As I for one never trust the HO from bad experience in the past.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:36 am

Siggi wrote:PaulM,
The Ancestral visa route will remain outsided of the new point scheme, this was very clear stated earlier this year on the HO web site and the outlines of the new tier system.
In fact I see that in Tier 2 group, you could become eligible for ILR after two years so a Tier 2 person could become a British National within three years, I dont think so.That would be grossly unfair towards Ancestral visa holders having to wait for six years before appying for BN.
PaulM, the HO changes most of it's rule's and regulation every year around April , so if you are going to apply fro a AC visa do it sooner than later.
As I for one never trust the HO from bad experience in the past.
Why not? I think the logic behind fast tracking ILR/Naturalisation for Tier 1 individuals is that it would help the country retain them better, unlike the case now where many of these individuals are using the UK as a springboard for better careers further afield. People on AC visas may have a legitimate claim to citizenship but many of them may not necessarily have the skills that would potentially benefit the country. In an increasingly globalised economy, its your economic viability that matters, not where your ancestors hail from.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:15 pm

Thirdwave,
Lets wait and see what happens before we all climb on our high horses!
The new tier system has not been finalised yet and I doubt very much if they will fast track anyone. Skilled or not.!

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:31 pm

Thanks Siggi for response,

I already have ancestral visa, was just curious in terms of whether they might change rules in terms of ILR at the end or not...things like that.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:54 pm

I doubt that they'd want anyone qualifying after three years, unless married to/in a civil partnership with a BC/ILR/PR holder. I can only think of an exception whereby the 'fast-track' would be for people with very high skills and income, e.g. a PhD holder earning something like £60k, or scientists in medical/lab research, or what have you. Does it actually mention anything about 3 yrs to BC? It states "initial two years" - isn't that how it is now for HSMP holders? You first get two years, then once you pass that, you can move to the 3 year to settlement? It doesn't state anything clearly on that site (the tier12345).

The current situation does not want to make it easier/faster for people to obtain ILR/BC, so I can't see a reduction for anyone.

Prove me wrong...
Last edited by sakura on Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:56 pm

sakura wrote:I doubt that they'd want anyone qualifying after three years, unless married to/in a civil partnership with a BC/ILR/PR holder. I can only think of an exception whereby the 'fast-track' would be for people with very high skills and income, e.g. a PhD holder earning something like £60k, or scientists in medical/lab research, or what have you.
Most of the guys contracting on HSMP are earning for more than £60k....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:00 pm

Wanderer wrote:
sakura wrote:I doubt that they'd want anyone qualifying after three years, unless married to/in a civil partnership with a BC/ILR/PR holder. I can only think of an exception whereby the 'fast-track' would be for people with very high skills and income, e.g. a PhD holder earning something like £60k, or scientists in medical/lab research, or what have you.
Most of the guys contracting on HSMP are earning for more than £60k....
...with a PhD? :wink: Well then I'll move it up to the £80k mark!

vijier
Newly Registered

Post by vijier » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:51 am

Hi,
With the new rules related to WP/HSMP in 2008, I am a bit worried about the ILR processing. I am in UK since June 2003 and I was on WP till July 2007. I recently changed my status to HSMP and I will be eligible for ILR in May 2008. Will the new rules affect my ILR processing in any way?

Kindly let me know.

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:02 pm

Will there be any changes in IGS visa ?

Also, what about ILR through 10 Long stay residency route - will it be abolished?

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:28 pm

Short answer - we just don't know.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:36 pm

vijier wrote:Hi,
With the new rules related to WP/HSMP in 2008, I am a bit worried about the ILR processing. I am in UK since June 2003 and I was on WP till July 2007. I recently changed my status to HSMP and I will be eligible for ILR in May 2008. Will the new rules affect my ILR processing in any way?

Kindly let me know.
According to the latest HO figures,err... there are too far many of us in this country & consequently the govt is examining urgent proposals to limit the invasion of Britain by uncoot immigrants from beyond the EU..Although the exact details have not yet been released, rumour has that all immigrants would either be a) burnt at the stake or b) hung, drawn & quartered & the remains put on display in Calais & Cherbourg to deter any chancers trying to get in to Blighty.. :lol:

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:54 pm

thirdwave wrote:
According to the latest HO figures,err... there are too far many of us in this country & consequently the govt is examining urgent proposals to limit the invasion of Britain by uncoot immigrants from beyond the EU..Although the exact details have not yet been released, rumour has that all immigrants would either be a) burnt at the stake or b) hung, drawn & quartered & the remains put on display in Calais & Cherbourg to deter any chancers trying to get in to Blighty.. :lol:
:lol:

Wouldn't surprised....

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Shan12

Post by Shan12 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:53 pm

Me neither... :lol:

iceman010899

Post by iceman010899 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:20 pm

The 10 year rule might be abolished. Imagine the number of people who entered the UK 10 years ago from now. They want to reduce the number of migrants / population.

Students: The college/uni will need to get a sponser license. Not all colleges will be able to get this. Points will be given according to course, fees, etc. This starts in 2009.

HSMP - REALLY ? who would want to leave their country if they earned 30k in their own country ? This will keep out people from Asian and African countries.

Basically, you will see a huge reduction in non-EU migrants. This will be good for the labour party as voters will be happy. ITS ALL POLITICS in the expense of migrants.