ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nananu

Naturalisation query

Post by nananu » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi All,
I have applied for naturalisation in November 2015. Due to some unavoidable circumstances, I need to travel out of UK and can only be back by the end of this year. I have ILR which is valid till 2024.

If I ignore my naturalisation application,

1) Will it have an impact on ILR
2) Can I apply for citizenship later on once I am back (of course 3 years later, after meeting absences criteria).

Any advice in this regard, will be of great help.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Re: Naturalisation query

Post by UKBALoveStory » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:47 pm

With ILR, you can stay out of UK for upto 2 years.

Why can't you just redirect (royal mail redirect) all your post to some of your friend? and once your Naturalization is approved you can call council to book private/public ceremony. You just have to come to UK for one day to attend the ceremony. In some cases, you can also move your ceremony out of country (search this forum and you will find the link).
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

vishpb35

Post by vishpb35 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:00 pm

although UKBALoveStory response is a good workaround.

Please be aware as per new rules, once you come to UK to attend citizenship ceremony, you need to handover your current UK BRP back within 5 days ; which means you can obviously return back to your country after attending ceremony (taking naturalisation certificate with you and returning brp). However to come back to UK again, you need british passport which you can apply from your native country.
You can then apply for british passport from abroad (16 weeks processing time to get passport from abroad)

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

*Oh please also be mindful you also need to be careful that if your country does not support dual citizenship, then you need to surrender your current passport, and obtain visa to stay in that country. So its like chicken and egg situation. :)

What country are you planning to go ?.

vishpb35

Post by vishpb35 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:28 pm

Also see this post response from CR001.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 01121.html