ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel while Citizenship appl in progress.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rbob
Newly Registered

Travel while Citizenship appl in progress.

Post by rbob » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:54 pm

Hi,

I am currently on ILR, and planning to submit Citizenship Appl in Feb-2016.
I have a travel plan, must visit India for one month (August-2016).

If I am going to submit AN1 in Feb, I am not sure if I finish all process (Approval/Oath/Passport/OCI) before my travel date.
I came to know that I can use Indian Passport to travel within 90days from date of Naturalization.
So I want to submit my Citizenship appl such a way that above 90days fall into my travel dates (Aug).

Query 1:
So just thinking, if I postpone my AN1 submission to May, so that roughly I receive Citizenship before Aug and I can take Oath as soon as come back.
And my passport also valid to travel. Please any suggestions.

Query 2:
If above plan is suggestable, I have below query -
My current Indian passport is due to expire on Nov-16. I will be back to UK before first week of Sep. I hope this doesn’t affect anywhere in travel (just like can’t travel if passport due to expire), your suggestion is most appreciated

Calender
Feb ---- Mar----Apr----May ----Jun----Jul----Aug----Sep----Oct----Nov

sonub4ualt
Member of Standing

Re: Travel while Citizenship appl in progress.

Post by sonub4ualt » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:22 pm

rbob wrote:Hi,

I am currently on ILR, and planning to submit Citizenship Appl in Feb-2016.
I have a travel plan, must visit India for one month (August-2016).

If I am going to submit AN1 in Feb, I am not sure if I finish all process (Approval/Oath/Passport/OCI) before my travel date.
I came to know that I can use Indian Passport to travel within 90days from date of Naturalization.
So I want to submit my Citizenship appl such a way that above 90days fall into my travel dates (Aug).

Query 1:
So just thinking, if I postpone my AN1 submission to May, so that roughly I receive Citizenship before Aug and I can take Oath as soon as come back.
And my passport also valid to travel. Please any suggestions.

Query 2:
If above plan is suggestable, I have below query -
My current Indian passport is due to expire on Nov-16. I will be back to UK before first week of Sep. I hope this doesn’t affect anywhere in travel (just like can’t travel if passport due to expire), your suggestion is most appreciated

Calender
Feb ---- Mar----Apr----May ----Jun----Jul----Aug----Sep----Oct----Nov
Query 1:

If you are happy to pay extra few pounds then u can submit anytime you wish. Please see the fee rise due to happen if you submit after April 2016.

With the most recent changes once you have your naturalisation you have to submit your Biometric within 5 days of either obtaining your naturalisation or date you attended ceremony!! Which implies you have to apply for a british passport so that you can return to UK after your trip or get a right of abode sticker affixed on your indian passport.

You have a grace period of 90 days to surrender your Indian passport once you obtain citizenship of a foreign country

If you apply through NCS you will have your passport with you so you can come back and take the oath ceremony and then apply for passport.

I applied for my naturalisation sometime mid october it roughly took 3 months (yours may take longer or shorter depending upon individual circumstances) to get my approval. I took my oath and applied for british passport. In my suggestion it is best you apply in Feb. Looking at timelines british passport applications are processed within 3 weeks and you will have have your passport in 4th week may be earlier (but cannot guarantee as the website advises 6 weeks for first time passport).

Surrender certificate takes two weeks roughly and the oci about 3-4 weeks.

Also you mentioned your passport will expire in ,nov'16. You might have to anyway apply for Indian passport because some airlines need the travel document to be valid for at least six months.

secret.simon

Re: Travel while Citizenship appl in progress.

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:14 am

Good advice, sonub4ualt.

To the OP, why not apply a week before your travel? That way, you can be almost certain that any approval and oath would be after your return.

As Sonub4ualt mentioned, it is possible that you can apply now and likely get your British passport in time for August. I believe that an e-visa option is now available for British citizens traveling to India.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.