ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR success story - Croydon - Self employed

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

madred
Newly Registered

ILR success story - Croydon - Self employed

Post by madred » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:00 am

First things first,
Thanks a lot to the wonderful mods and great seniors . I managed to get my ILR approved in Croydon PEO yesterday. Its for myself and one dependant (my son was born here so MN1 process starts now).
we waited for 4 hrs (appointment time:15:00) left at 18:57 (along with the security team) and was the last customer for the day!

Timeline of events:
14:30 : arrived
14:35: cleared frisking and headed up
14:42: was asked to enter the registerion area
14:55: document submission process starts (bloke checking my docs happens to be from my state so he was chitchatting happily while my state of mind was pre occupied with fear for so many unknown factors)
15:20 : bio metric taken
15:30 : sent to 'Red waiting area'
15:30-16:15 : awaiting consideration
i was so hungry by this time wanted to buy something from cafeteria but was told she is closed for the day (great!). so grabbed some water and headed to coin operated vending machine to find only one mars bar only (so now i have seen water near Mars)..
16:16 : under consideration - this status didnt change untill all other numbers were falling like the bowling alley pins but mine held firm as you can imagine after an hour 17:15 i was starting to bite my nails was agitated to the Mrs (for something silly). walked towards to the main hall and was met by security and asked him what time tey close and his reply and i quote 'we have to see everyone who are here there is no official closing time although we close the doors for entry by 16:00; so you will be seen today please wait'
by 17:40 my head was ready to explode and take my heart along with it ...something should have been wrong...things playing on my mind were ...was it my renewal claiming amount and actual tax paid(it falls into 2 tax years and i have claimed £43k during renewal but have paid for £67 over 2 years)? was it my frequent travel in year 4 (made multiple trips for personal reasons but no single trip over 90 in total i had 158 days over 5 years) or is there a problem with dependent docs (English language?) , My wife lived with me for 13 months then was away in India for a Year then here with me again for 22 months (hence my frequent travel to india on year 4) or is it just plain bad luck ???..just WHAT /Why is it taking so long ...mine is a straightforward application (so i thought )..

By 17:45i couldnt wait so heading into the main hall and bumped into a bloke who apparently works as a solicitor firm and he advised me to check with the Manager who sits behind counter 45 (Heads up please use him as a last resort and not as a frequent update checkpoint). so went to him and he pinged the CW in his messenger and told the CW has asked for 10 more mins to finish my case and the Manager kept apologising for the delay

by 18:05 i went in and checked with him again and was told that he cant really do anything while the CW works on it (it was silly of me to check again but the nerves got better off me ) and kept apologising again and asked me to wait

NOW is the 'Masala' addition (akin to Indian cinema climax)..while i was walking away from the Managers desk a bloke was called in (he sounded from the North American Continent ) and his was declined for some reasons and he went BALLISTIC ! he was angry , abusive and threatening and wanted all his docs back before AR etc ... I was just frozen thinking 'Mate , i m still waiting can you pls pls pls not piss people off' . this 'Masala incident' carried on for 20 ish mins and as you can imagine it was bit of drama with security called etc .

i moved away from the main point of action and was waiting in the red waiting area and was finally called in at 18:40 saying its all done and we should receive our cards within 10 working days.

these 4 hrs is along side my most mortifying moments in life:
1. Proposing to my then gf(now Mrs)
2. Maths exams!!!!

all in all it was quiet a memorable experience .
let me know if you have any queries , happy to help (im posting in my cover letter below)!
Cheers

madred
Newly Registered

Re: ILR success story - Croydon - Self employed

Post by madred » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:11 am

Date: xx-xx-xxxx

xx,
yyy,

To:
PEO Croydon
UK Border and immigration Agency
Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road
Croydon, CR9 2BY

Sub: APPLICATION FOR INDEFINITE LEAVE TO REMAIN IN THE UK
(CATEGORY: TIER 1 (GENERAL) - MAIN & DEPENDENT APPLICANT)

Dear Sir/Madam, 

I, x and my spouse y wish to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK under the Category Points Based System TIER 1 (GENERAL) MIGRANT.

I live in the UK since 22-Nov-2010 and hold a TIER 1 (GENERAL MIGRANT) visa, which is valid until 08-Feb-2016.

My initial Tier 1 General Visa was valid from 06-Sep-2010 and my first date of entry into the UK was on 22-Nov-2010 which is 76 days from visa validity.

Below are all the relevant dates including absences from UK for Continuous Period Calculation:

1 Tier 1 General Visa Valid from: 06-Sep-2010
2 Date of initial entry into UK: 22-Nov-2010
3 Tier 1 General Date of expiry: 06-Sep-2012
4 Date application posted for Extension: 02- Sep-2012
5 Date (new) leave to remain was valid from: 08-Feb-2013
6 Date (new) leave to remain is valid until: 08- Feb-2016

I was outside of the UK during the following days (*Note: I have attached a separate leave of absences letter explaining my reasons (and evidence) for days spent outside UK).

Year From To Total days Reason Evidence
Year 5 25-Jan-15 26-Jan-14 0 N/A
Year 4 25-Jan-14 26-Jan-13 102 Family visits Stamps in Passport
Year 3 25-Jan-13 26-Jan-12 0 N/A N/A
Year 2 25-Jan-12 26-Jan-11 16 Family visit Stamp in passport
Year 1 25-Jan-11 27-Jan-10 0 N/A N/A
• During Year 4, I made 4 trips to Indiaand I have broken down those trips as below:
Year 4 From To Total days Reason Evidence
Trip 1 21-Dec-13 03-Jan-14 13 Family visits Stamp in Passport
Trip 2 19-Sep-13 24-Sep-13 5 Family visits Stamp in Passport
Trip 3 19-Jul-13 27-Jul-13 8 Family visits Stamp in Passport
Trip 4 08-Apr-13 23-Jun-13 76 Family visits Stamp in Passport

• During Year 2, I made 1 trip to India to spend time with my wife and family which lasted for 16 days

Points claimed:
I have claimed90 points in attributes section and 10 points each for English Language and Maintenance funds on a self-evaluation basis using the Tier 1 (General) of the points based system.

Following is the list of documents provided supporting my application.

1. Age Assessment – 20 points claimed

2. Qualification – 35 points claimed

Note: Qualification recognised on the points-based calculator and evidence submitted as part of previous Tier 1 (General) application.

3. Previous Earnings – 30 points claimed
I work on a contract basis (as a xxx) ) via my Limited company (xxx,Reg no: xx)) 
• Documents provided:

Management accounts from accountant
Dividend summary letter (Jan 15- Dec15) from accountant
Invoices (Jan 15- Jan 16)
Dividend vouchers (6 nos)
Agency( letter showing amount credited(Jan 15- Jan 16)
Salary summary letter (Jan 15- Dec15) from accountant
Natwest Business account statements(Jan 15- Jan 16)
Pay slips (11 nos)
CT 600 (for 11-12, 12-13 &13-14)
SA 302: (for 11-12, 12-13 &13-14) and 14-15 (recently submitted print out with has HMRC reference no)
VAT Certificate
Halifax personal account statements (Jan 15 - Jan 16)
Letter of Incorporation from Companies house
P 60 (for last year)
Contract letter and extensions from Agency

*Salary and dividend transaction from Business account to personal account have been highlighted in the respective bank statements

4. UK Experience – 5 points claimed

• Documents provided: same as Point 3 above

5. English Language – 10 points claimed

• Documents provided:Masters Degree Certificate
•Note: Qualification recognised on the Points-Based Calculator – Print out attached

6. Maintenance Funds – 10 points claimed

• Documents provided:Halifax Bank Account (Acc no: 10913465) Statements for Savings Account’s from 15 Oct 2014 till 15 Jan 2016; are enclosed which includes Maintenance funds.

7. Life in the UK Pass Certificate
• 1 for Main applicant and 1 for dependent

Dependent y lives with me in the UK since 28-OCt-2011 and holds a TIER 1 (GENERAL MIGRANT) DEPENDANT visa, which is valid until 08-Feb-2016.

• Documents provided for dependent: 
o Life in the UK Pass Certificate
o Degree of Bachelor of Science
• Note: Qualification recognized on the Points-Based Calculator (Print out attached)
• NARIC statement of comparability attached
• Letter from the Institute attached
8. Co-habitation documents provided
Documents with bothMain applicant and Dependant name on it:
• Marriage certificate
• NatWest – Joint account statements
• Affinity water bill
• Council tax request
• Letter from GP
Documents with Main applicant name on it:
• Annual Mortgage statement
• Tier 1 extension letter from UKBA/ UKBA BRP letter
• DVLA correspondence letter
• Halifax bank statement
• Poll card
Documents with Dependant nameon it:
• Tier 1 Dependant extension letter from UKBA/ UKBA BRP letter
• DVLA correspondence letter
• HMRC letter for Tax year 2014-2015
• Aqua Credit card letter
• Letters from NHS regarding Maternity appointments and Screening appointments
• Poll card

I trust the information I have provided is satisfactory; however, if you have any questions or require additional information regarding any aspect of the application, please do not hesitate to contact me via any modes of communication noted at the bottom of this letter.

Thanking you, 

Warm Regards

x

Samsaro
Newly Registered

Post by Samsaro » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:38 am

Congrats and thanks for sharing your experience.

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:22 am

Congrats! It was an intereating read, and looks like you have succeeded over all your mortifying moments :-)
Cheers,
OR

ango_26

Post by ango_26 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Congrats madred!

I was self-employed for 15 months years in last 5 years but I am not using that period as the assessment period for my application.

However, I have few questions:
1. For evidence of absences in that duration, do I need to get a letter from my accountant? Actually, he said that he can't issue such letter. I re-read the UKBA requirements and it says
Tier 1 (General) applicants who are self-employed or
in business must provide a letter of explanation of their business-related absences.
. What did you do?

2. I am going to get a reference letter from accountant for the period stating my position in the company, salary and dividend received. On top, I will take the Corporation Tax Returns and the Annual Accounts copy. Do I also need VAT certificate or any other documents?

Please advice!

mian1

Post by mian1 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:22 pm

hello
congratulation
i have few questions about the SET O questions
if you can share answer with me thanks

5.3 Are you working in the UK ?
Yes
If so, what is your pay each month after income tax and other deduction?

I am working as a director of my own limited company where I don’t have a FIX pay each month.
I take salary most of time as a small amount and withdraw dividend from company profit after every 3 or 4 months .
So which amount shall I put here only salary or do an average with Pay and dividend.

Finally did they ask you to fill in any additional forms, i read some places about a form
asking about self employed or director of ltd in last 5 years
details about accountant
thanks

madred
Newly Registered

Post by madred » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:54 pm

Thanks Samsaro! :D
and o_Relly thanks a lot !its no coincidence that those mortifiying moments turned the final outcome to be eurphoric/ecstatic :lol: which otherwise would have been plain simple happy

madred
Newly Registered

Post by madred » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi ango _26.
thanks !
1. I had classified and disclosed all my leaves from UK only as family visits (which were ) and for the year where i had multiple visits I provided a self - explanation letter along with evidence (hospital discharge summary) that was enclosed as part of my application . In regards to official visits i honeslty do not know what can be provided for self employed (may be seniors or mods can help?), wherein for employed it would be simple letter from employer
2. 'I am going to get a reference letter from accountant for the period stating my position in the company, salary and dividend received. On top, I will take the Corporation Tax Returns and the Annual Accounts copy. Do I also need VAT certificate or any other documents?' - only thing that i would add to (CT600 and Managing account statements, salary summary and dividend summary)is your SA302's (for all years) which would clearly demonstrate your personal income including any dividends received during the period(self employed or employed or combination of both). you can keep VAT certificate and certificate of incoporation from companies house as a additional documents and clearly label them (sticky notes) as additional documents.

madred
Newly Registered

Post by madred » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:49 pm

mian1 wrote:hello
congratulation
i have few questions about the SET O questions
if you can share answer with me thanks

5.3 Are you working in the UK ?
Yes
If so, what is your pay each month after income tax and other deduction?

I am working as a director of my own limited company where I don’t have a FIX pay each month.
I take salary most of time as a small amount and withdraw dividend from company profit after every 3 or 4 months .
So which amount shall I put here only salary or do an average with Pay and dividend.

i was in the exact same situation as yours : assuming my total income claimed was £50,001(made up of salary £1000 *12 months and rest 38,001 dividend made up by [random 2 payments]30,000 and 8000); i divided the total income claimed by12 :i.e: 50,001/12=£4166.75
in section 5.6 (table )Complete the following table indicating the sources and levels of income as indicated in 5.1 - 5.5 that you and your partner are relying on to adequately maintain you and any dependants.[/i]
Income source frequency amount received
Limited company name (salary) Monthly 12000
Limited company name (Dividend) Bi annual 38,001

Finally did they ask you to fill in any additional forms, i read some places about a form
asking about self employed or director of ltd in last 5 years
details about accountant
thanks
[/i] I did not fill in any additional official forms ; however in the section

9. Please provide full contact details that will allow each of the documents provided to be
verified if necessary. Please also provide here any additional information or explanation of the
documentation sent which will assist us in our consideration of the earnings being claimed. If
more space is required, please provide the required information in a covering letter

I included 3 (imaginary table of 3 columns) section :1. agency (details of my agency: contact person, full postal address, email id, phone no) 2. Accountant (details of my accountant)3. Manager (details of my manager)

DO remember your accountant has to be qualified one and you have to attach the evidence of his qualification / membership (mine is ACCA qualified so he gave me a printout with his details, signed and stamped)

ILR_Applicant111
Newly Registered

Post by ILR_Applicant111 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:03 pm

Hi Madred,

many congratulations mate!

I just had my ILR approved at Sheffield PEO but can i check what does your letter from PEO say?
For some bizarre reason they have stopped mentioning that application has been approved. Only BRP timings mentioned which in other words is an indication of approval however not that straight forward,

And are you still waiting for BRP?

Thanks
ILR App

ango_26

Post by ango_26 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:13 am

Thanks for your reply Madred!

madred
Newly Registered

Post by madred » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:13 pm

ILR_Applicant111 wrote:ILR_Applicant111
Hello mate,
Apologies for the delayed response, was busy hunting jobs.
right to answer your question : yes it didn't not say that yours is approved only an official timeline of when BRP is expected.
I believe we received both our BRPs in 2 working days! like Magic(now waiting for MN1).
hopefully yours is sorted now?

Cheers