ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA citizen with NON-EU wife moving to UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Valderin
Newly Registered

EEA citizen with NON-EU wife moving to UK

Post by Valderin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi,
I read quite a few topics here on forum and and many articles on the net but I am still confused how to make things work.

So..
I am Polish citizen, my wife is Grenadian. We got married in December 2015. I moved to UK in January but withut her. She as a Grenadian is a British Commonwealth and she do not require visa to come to UK( she can come to UK for 6 months but not work).
The thing is: what I need to so she could come to UK and stay(obviously thats the place we want to spend our life as for many reasons). I was thinking about applying for EEA Family Permit as she can work having it and it's easier to enter UK, and after that as far as I remember I can apply for Residence Permit. But is this correct way?Is EEA FP best option? And one more question. I've seen many times information about minimum annum salary of 18600GBP, does that apply also with EEA Family Permit(can't find any information that it does)?

PS. My wife also has a sister in UK, British national. Their father(different mothers and not married to any) was British(he's dead now) but in that case I dont think it changes anything - I dont know if she can even obtain citizenship as a descent(not married parents)

Thank you for all the help and making my life less confusing :)

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: EEA citizen with NON-EU wife moving to UK

Post by Casa » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:32 pm

I can answer your first two questions, the nationality issue is more complicated and there are other better informed to advise you.
1. EEA Family Permit is the best option
2. The £18,600 doesn't apply to EEA nationals and their family.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Valderin
Newly Registered

Post by Valderin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:21 pm

Thank you very much for such a quick reply. At least now I know that my research was not going in wrong direction. Although nationality issue might be only helping when proving strong ties to the country(whenever she might need to prove it)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:43 pm

PS. My wife also has a sister in UK, British national. Their father(different mothers and not married to any) was British(he's dead now) but in that case I dont think it changes anything - I dont know if she can even obtain citizenship as a descent(not married parents)
If her father is listed on her birth certificate, she can apply for citizenship on form UKF, the cost is £80.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Valderin
Newly Registered

Post by Valderin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:15 pm

Even if she was born in Grenada? WOW if that would work it would be huge. I guess now I have tones of reading but thank you for your information!

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:33 pm

I recommend you get your wife over to the UK as soon as possible (e.g. on a family permit) before the changes to free movement come into effect and you suddenly have to meet the £18,600 a year financial threshold and pay the thousands of pounds for a visa and extensions of stay. If you're considering the British nationality route, check how her father got British citizenship. If he wasn't born in the UK, there's a good chance your wife won't get British citizenship from him.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:15 pm

Valderin wrote:Even if she was born in Grenada? WOW if that would work it would be huge. I guess now I have tones of reading but thank you for your information!
Yes, she can apply from anywhere although it is processed in the UK.

Might be worth getting her to the UK on an EEA FP and then do the UKF here once she can get all the paperwork (if not already in hand).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.