ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizen & EEA (QP) questions

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

White Emerald

Irish citizen & EEA (QP) questions

Post by White Emerald » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:12 am

noajthan wrote:
ranguler03 wrote:...
So I've got these 3 questions:

1) Do we need it or not?
2) Is it part of the requirements for us to apply for a permanent residence card as they say?
3) Am I save with my business if Britain leaves EU?
1) It is optional; it is a document that simply confirms rights (it doesn't grant them)

2) No; (it may help as evidence of residence in UK but it is not mandatory)
Hi there,

My wife has been just been granted an EEA FP and is coming to join me at the end of the month. I know as the spouse of an EEA member she will need to complete EEA [FM] to get a residence card? However, as an Irish citizen living and working in the UK; do I need to bother applying for the EEA [QP]? I received my Irish passport in 2008 but was outside the EU until i returned to the UK in summer of 2014. Is it correct that if you haven't resided in the UK continuously for 5 years since your new passport was issued then you don't qualify for Per. Resid.?

Also, my tennancy agreement covers all bills and council tax, so what would be the best way to get my wife's name on some paper once she's here? I do realise that many of these questions may have been asked before so apologies beforehand. Any links or advice would be most grateful.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Why do I need EEA (QP)?

Post by ohara » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:15 am

I'm fairly sure (someone correct me if wrong) that under the Common Travel Area arrangement, Irish citizens are considered 'settled' immediately they move permanently to the UK :)

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:02 pm

ohara wrote:I'm fairly sure (someone correct me if wrong) that under the Common Travel Area arrangement, Irish citizens are considered 'settled' immediately they move permanently to the UK :)
I was thinking about this myself ohara, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking of how to get her name on something. Is it difficult to open a basic bank account?

alex1128
Member of Standing
Mood:
Morocco

Post by alex1128 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:10 pm

White Emerald wrote:
ohara wrote:I'm fairly sure (someone correct me if wrong) that under the Common Travel Area arrangement, Irish citizens are considered 'settled' immediately they move permanently to the UK :)
I was thinking about this myself ohara, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking of how to get her name on something. Is it difficult to open a basic bank account?
Go to Santander Bank they will open for you a joint account easily !!
You can apply for the tv license on your wife's name it costs only around 10 pounds a month !!
Register with a GP .
Apply for a provisional driving license all you need is a passport and around 40 pounds !
Application sent: 25.06
Biometrics : 10/07 (dated 07/07)
COA: 29/07
Received Questionnaire: 09/11
RC : Refused ( 23/01/2016)
Appeal Filed : 25/01/2016

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:35 am

Correct. Not so the wives of Irish citizens, who would have to go through the whole process of their Irish spouse exercising treaty rights and getting a Residence Card.
White Emerald wrote: Is it correct that if you haven't resided in the UK continuously for 5 years since your new passport was issued then you don't qualify for Per. Resid.?
If your achievement is to gain Permanent Residence under EEA Regulations, nonwithstanding your settled status as an Irish citizen, then you will need to be resident in the UK and exercise treaty rights continuously for five years. The tenure of your passport (issuance/expiry dates) are irrelevant. Indeed, many EEA citizens come into the UK on the basis of their national identity card.

For your wife to acquire PR under the EEA Regulations, she needs to be in the UK as your spouse and you need to either be exercising treaty rights or be a Permanent Resident under the EEA Regulations for the period of five continuous years.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.