ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Return of ILR BRP

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Nitro

Return of ILR BRP

Post by Nitro » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi Guys,

I hope you are well. I got British passport in the month of December but no where in any of the DOC's it was mentioned that I have to return the ILR BRP card.

Do I need to send it back to HO? and If so where do I need to post it to?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Nitro

LilyLalilu

Re: Return of ILR BRP

Post by LilyLalilu » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:50 pm

I'm not sure when exactly this requirement came into force but given that you weren't made aware of it, it may have been just after you naturalised so I am not a 100% sure of whether you'll need to send your BRP back, although doing so probably can't do any harm. The address it needs to be posted to is specified on the HO website: https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... p-ceremony
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

erdogan1

Post by erdogan1 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:18 pm

Nitro it was recently made more aware when the form changed in January, so you should be okay.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:54 pm

LilyLalilu wrote:I'm not sure when exactly this requirement came into force but given that you weren't made aware of it, it may have been just after you naturalised so I am not a 100% sure of whether you'll need to send your BRP back, although doing so probably can't do any harm.
You're assuming Nitro will never need to show that he was ever settled in the UK before he became British. For example, which might not be applicable in his case, if any children were born to him in the UK while he was on ILR, the BRP might be needed to prove that they were British citizens.

In my own case, it's far easier for my daughter to prove she's British by showing that when she was born her mother already had ILR than it is for her to prove that I was married to her mother and then that I was born in the UK before 1983.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:24 am

Good point. Let's hope HMPO and the HO will communicate better regarding this point from now on as a lot of people who now have to send their BRPs back may otherwise have issues when applying for the children's UK passports on the basis of having been on ILR when the child was born.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:30 pm

Thank you for your responses.

I got Naturalized in the month of November and i guess the new rule came from January.

I have not been told during the process anywhere to return the BRP. So shall i just keep quiet and keep the BRP or do i need to return it now?

I'm confused because I don't want HO to come up with £1000 fine. I don't want to open box of worms, if you know what i mean. I guess there are probably thousands who still hold the ILR brp with them as the new rule came recently.

Can any moderators shed some light please?

Thanks
regards
Nitro

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:37 pm

The rule wasn't in force in November so I guess you are not legally required to return your BRP to the HO. But best to wait for moderators/gurus to confirm :)

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:57 am

The rule was added in the January 2016 version of the AN form

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:22 am

LilyLalilu wrote:The rule wasn't in force in November so I guess you are not legally required to return your BRP to the HO. But best to wait for moderators/gurus to confirm :)
As per HO guidance this return of returning BRP has been the case since (at least) May 2015:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n_v5_0.pdf

- ref page 9
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:11 pm

noajthan wrote:As per HO guidance this return of returning BRP has been the case since (at least) May 2015:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n_v5_0.pdf

- ref page 9
But that's a claim of fact, not an instruction to holders.

Macro_Run
Member of Standing

Post by Macro_Run » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:08 pm

I am not asked to send my ILR BRP when I submit my passport application.
I read in this forum somebody who has sent their BRP also while applying passport.
Anybody who applied the Naturalisation in OCT 2015 sent their BRP to Home Office ?
Any advice please.