ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IT: Permanent vs Contract jobs

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

netacct

IT: Permanent vs Contract jobs

Post by netacct » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:30 pm

Hi All,

I work into .NET and looking for Permanent job since last few weeks.
What I found that getting interview call in not that easy.
Even if you get an interview call, company interivews few candidates for same positions and then selects one.

Its very difficult to manage interviews as I have to take a day off and travel from Bristol to london as I am looking for jobs in London only. Its very expensive.

I have not given any interviews for Contract jobs yet, just want to know whether it is easy to get contract job or permanent job?

Thanks in advance
Sachin

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:31 pm

Generally it's easier to get contract work. This is because it's easier for the company to get rid of you if they don't like you. Once they've hired you permanently, it's harder for them if you are not working out.

Contract work can also pay more since it's temporary. It's meant to compensate for the fact that you're not in a permanent role, and your job can be eliminated with limited conditions. If you're new to the market, a contract is also an easier way to get London market experience that you can put on your CV.

Good luck.

prem12

Post by prem12 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:47 pm

How often does it happen that the project itself is scrapped and the contractors are layed off for that reason?
________
Hashish
Last edited by prem12 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:56 am

Probably depends on the company or type of business.. I can give you my experience.. We employ contractors on 3-6 month agreements, so generally if we were to move them off the project it would only be at the end of their agreed term (we just wouldn't renew them)..

It hasn't really happened that often, but our projects have been ongoing.. Usually, unless they're not doing a good job, we try to keep the same contracted employees on the projects because they know the subject matter and it is more work to train a new person..

In my past jobs, I'd say that the overall project gets cancelled about 20-30% of the time, but that might be high depending upon your company or type of business..

prem12

Post by prem12 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:18 pm

Are you having a consultancy firm of your own.
And are you sure the figure is 20-30% even with investment banks.
________
Weed Vaporizer

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:20 pm

I can't answer on behalf of all consulting.. I work for a financial services group and my area employs consultants to help us with strategic initiatives and projects. As I said, my own personal experience.. given all the IB issues lately, I'd be surprised if there is not a slowdown in some projects at some of the big companies.. we would rarely (if ever) let someone go before their contract was up.. we'd just not renew it.. At this point, we're keeping the contracts we have and we are renewing them, but we're not taking on anyone new. We're also not suffering (fingers crossed) like some of the other groups that are experiencing major write offs from the mortgage fallout in the US..

prem12

Post by prem12 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:28 pm

Okay.. What in your opinion what could be the contract rate of someone with nearly 7 years of experience.
________
Renntech

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:36 am

Its going to vary based upon the number of people with similar skills, the complexity of the role, etc..

There are a few websites that seem to specialize in contract work.. www.jobserve.com seems to be popular... also www.jobsite.co.uk is another.. There was a posting on here a while back with a list of good websites for employment, you can probably find it if you search for it..

If you're new to the UK, it can also be harder to get a high paid role because they seem to value UK experience above equivalent experience elsewhere.. but contracting can also be a good way to build local job history quickly..

Good luck!

philgeorge999

Post by philgeorge999 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:15 pm

Well my firm (a US investment bank) has just terminated the contracts of 95% of the contractors working in IT, giving people 2 weeks notice. Few employers are recruiting in the sector at the moment so I'm guessing most of these chaps will be out of work for the next 3 or 4 months.