ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

karg_g

English requirement

Post by karg_g » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:50 pm

Hello Friends,

I am planning to apply for ILR on 26-Feb. My only concern is the Question 4.5 which asks for English Language test. My wife and mine both appear in the PBS calculator and awarding 10 points. However the following statement is misleading.

Applications made on or after 12 November 2015
For naturalisation applications made on or after 12 November 2015 and settlement applications made on or after 19 November 2015, the only tests that are acceptable are qualifications covering speaking and listening at B1 or above from the Secure English Language Test (SELT) list in the Immigration Rules, Appendix O. No other tests are acceptable.

The test must be taken at an approved test centre.

The test must have been taken no more than 2 years before the date of application.

Has anybody recently had success/communications with UKBA regarding using our PBS calculator to prove Knowledge of English

Cheers
I try to give honest answers, however I might be wrong, kindly always check with your solicitor/accountant for final confirmation

O_Relly

Re: English requirement

Post by O_Relly » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:10 pm

PBS summary sheet will suffice. I had the exact same question and succeeded recently. See my experience here (click).

See one more recent success case here (click)
Cheers,
OR

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Read the FAQ - http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 93792.html - even case workers have instructions to use the PBS.

I applied on Saturday for ILR with Tier 1 (General) and submitted the single PBS printout page showing that I get 10 points for a Tier 2 application (at the top of the page it showed 0 points, but in the selection, you could see it was awarding me 10 points).

I simply submitted that with my application and it was approved.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:23 pm

Congrats mulderpf :-) Nice to see a fellow member from around the same time crossing the ILR milestone! Cheers.
Cheers,
OR

karg_g

Post by karg_g » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:23 pm

Hi

Thanks both. It's relief to see people having succeeded with this suggestion. A trivial question do we then just ignore question 4.5 and just go to Section 5? Also, can I tick the following for both myself and my partner?

An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the
recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or
PhD in the United Kingdom and:
- UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was
taught or researched in English; o
I try to give honest answers, however I might be wrong, kindly always check with your solicitor/accountant for final confirmation