ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

holyhead to dublin on ferries.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

8 ocelots
Newly Registered

holyhead to dublin on ferries.

Post by 8 ocelots » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:21 pm

hello i am just wondering if anybody has traveled on ferries to and from holyhead-dublin lately.

i am a non eu citizen from the USA and i wish to take ferries from holyhead to dublin soon. i was just wondering if i could get my passport stamped in southern ireland at dublin on the ferry as i have heard that they do not check passports, i do want my passport stamped though and need to know if i can get it stamped coming from england to southern ireland?

also will i get my passport stamped coming back into england?

a friend told me that they have never seen immigration check for passports coming back into england on a ferry from dublin but i would like to get my passport stamped coming back into england aswell.

i am currently on a 6 month visitor visa in england. i have been to ireland 3 times before but never on a ferry so i just want to no what its all about really.
just need to know if i can get my passport stamped coming into ireland on a ferry from england and get it stamped returning to england. like i said a friend told me that they never check for passports, if your coming in from ireland. is that true? just wanted to know as i want it stamped.

Avan123
Newly Registered

Re: holyhead to dublin on ferries.

Post by Avan123 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:39 pm

No you will not get it stamped the only way to get it stamped is to arrive from somewhere outside the Eu.

8 ocelots
Newly Registered

Post by 8 ocelots » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:47 pm

Avan123 wrote:No you will not get it stamped the only way to get it stamped is to arrive from somewhere outside the Eu.
do you mean coming back into england from ireland?

because you do get your passport stamped going into southern Ireland(Dublin) from England, at least i did on flights but i'm asking about ferries.

Do you mean that i can't get my passport stamped coming back into England?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:37 am

Under the Section 2 of the Republic of Ireland act 1949, Ireland is not considered as a foreign country under UK law and therefore frights from Ireland are treated as domestic.

You are unlikely to have your passport stamped in UK.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

8 ocelots
Newly Registered

Post by 8 ocelots » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:46 am

Obie wrote:Under the Section 2 of the Republic of Ireland act 1949, Ireland is not considered as a foreign country under UK law and therefore frights from Ireland are treated as domestic.

You are unlikely to have your passport stamped in UK.
so i understand now that they will not stamp it coming back into england? this is unfortunate
could you tell me what will happen going into ireland on a ferry? will they stamp it the same as if it were a flight?

i have flown from england to ireland 3 times and all 3 times i have had my passport stamped. which is good, i want it stamped and i would like it stamped on this up coming journey as well. i just want to know now if it will be stamped on a ferry journey now?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:21 am

There are no immigration officer on most ferry journey.

It is unlikely that it will need stamping .
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

8 ocelots
Newly Registered

Post by 8 ocelots » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:50 pm

Will there has been a change in my plans, i have decided to take flights from Manchester to Dublin and from Dublin to Manchester.

Usually i go from heathrow to Dublin and back the same way.

Does anyone know if they will stamp my passport at Manchester airport coming from Dublin?
They never have at heathrow. can i seek them out to stamp it at manchester if they don't??

Don't they treat flights from southern ireland as domestic flights because of the CTA and there for no passport checks??
Is this why they aren't stamping my passport when i come from Dublin to Heathrow?