ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Complicated Settlement Visa - Please do look in

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sveika
Newly Registered

Complicated Settlement Visa - Please do look in

Post by sveika » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:52 am

I am very glad to find out such a useful board like this... This is my first post here and your kind suggestions will certainly be very much appreciated!! Please offer me a hand...

I am a Chinese national who currently resides in mainland China. I married to a British national in August 2006 in Hong Kong. My husband and I have been living mainly in mainland China (and sometimes Hong Kong) since then. And now we would like to move back to the UK as we discovered that we are going to have our first child.

The complications are:
1. My husband is a religious worker in China and Hong Kong for many years (which also means he has been physically away from UK for many years), obviously he doesn't have an income in the UK. Though the religious organization in the UK does transfer him £1800 per annum (not taxed) to China. I believe the UK immigration authorities will count that as next to nothing...
2. I am a freelance professional in China and do not have any stable income.
3. We do not have assets in the UK.
4. Even if I could be granted for a spouse visa to enter the UK, we will still need to come back to China for substantial time for private reasons.
5. I choose not to mention anything about my husband's profession in my visa application to avoid unnecessary troubles.

The strengths are:
1. I consider my immigration history in the UK a fairly good one. I was on continuous student visas between Sep 2001 and May 2006, never breached immigration rules and no convictions. I was also in the UK together with my husband last september on a family visit visa.
2. Our relationship is bona fide and we have lots of evidence for that:
Various photos including the ones taken on our wedding and honeymoon
Air tickets
Substantial bank transactions
Marriage testimony on our church's website
Joint bank account in Hong Kong
Pregnancy confirmation for a local hospital
p.s. In china it is very difficult to collect proof of living together and this is already the best we could manage.
3. Our family in the UK are very supportive. My husband's sister offered us a two-bedroom flat to live in free of charge. And also agreed to act as a third-party sponsor. She has provided us a bank statement of over £600K. (I was very dissappointed to understand from Victoria's post that third party sponsorship is no longer recognized... Is it still the case?)
4. I have a rather impressive C.V. with very decent masters degrees from top UK universities and various UK and European working experiences including internship in the European Parliament. I believe most people would consider me as a potentially valuable immigrant to the UK.

Ideally, we would like to move back permanently to UK only after three or four years. But we need to go back to UK for the child delivery in the next few months. I find it very hard to explain you why we must have this child born in the UK. To claim a British passport for the baby would certainly be a bonus. But the major concern is not this.

Please read on... this is really a dilemma for us... It's all related to the very strict one child policy in current China.

When a baby is born in China, there must be a birth certificate issued from the hospital. Only government owned hospitals are authorized to issue birth certificates. However, unless the parents can produce the so-called 'baby permit' from the neighborhood committee which authorized the pregnancy, the hospital cannot issue a birth certificate. With a birth certificate, there are two options: Chinese hukou or foreign passport. Without a birth certificate, there is only one option: a foreign passport. It is not possible for us to get a 'baby permit' for we do not have an authorized pregnancy by the neighborhood committee, and it's not possible to claim the Child a Chinese hukou (household register book). Without a Chinese hukou, it is impossible to claim a Chinese passport for the baby. My husband was not born in the UK and that means we cannot claim the child a British passport either if we cannot have the baby born in UK.

And that means my child will really got stuck! It cannot have any passports if it cannot be born in the UK!!

I hope I have presented our case clearly as I have tried to. To sum it up, we have to go back to UK in the next few months. I have already submitted a spouse visa application in Guangzhou consulate but really concerned about the future. If I'll be issued with a spouse visa, which we'll very possibly treat it as a 'honorable visit visa', what shall we do next? Britain is always home in our hearts and we really wish to return to Britain after a few years...

I am very perplexed and please do advise me! I know there must be a way out. So please....

Many many thanks!!

p.s. I have edited the post a bit for private reasons. Thank you archigabe :)
Last edited by sveika on Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:06 am

You seem to be pretty well informed on the situation. If your only question is, once obatined, whether you can practically use the spouse visa as a visit visa, then the answer is yes. But be aware of the following problems that may arise-

1) Spouse visas are issued to be settlement visas and hence you may have some trouble with an IO if it is becomes clear to them that you are only visiting. This should not be a problem once you do get settled here.

2) If you have stayed away from the UK on the spouse visa for periods that make it seem difficult to prove that you had genuine ties to the UK, you will be asked to apply for an extension at the end of the 2 year visa to cover for the period that you were out and then apply for the ILR.
Jabi

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:32 pm

If you would like to e-mail me on victoria.sharkey@medivisas.com I would be delighted to help you all that I can. I think that the work that you and your husband are doing is fantastic, and very brave, and I am happy to give you all the advice that you need to get this sorted out.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:26 pm

unless the parents can produce the so-called 'baby permit' from the neighborhood committee which authorized the pregnancy, the hospital cannot issue a birth certificate
Incredible!

Having a baby in China seems truly scary! God Bless!

sveika
Newly Registered

Post by sveika » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:37 am

Oh thank you so much Docterror, Victoria and archigabe!! I am so happy to see that you have responded :D

Yes I've done reasonable amount of research these days but really stressed out on my findings. I do not want to have any future immigration problems, is there any way to go around the rules?

I believe that I'll be able to stay in the UK for about at least 6 months in the next 2 years once the visa will be issued.

'If you have stayed away from the UK on the spouse visa for periods that make it seem difficult to prove that you had genuine ties to the UK' -- Oh this is exactly what I am worried of!! They might say that I don't have any intention of emmigration and subsequently refuse me in the future spousal visa extention...

Question One:
As I understand, my husband has to be in the UK together with me for the next 2 years if we don't want to involve ourselves with immigration troubles, doesn't he? Or is it possible that he could stay in China for some time every few months whilst I remain in the UK?

Question Two:
About 'leave to enter the United Kingdom as a person exercising rights of access to a child resident in the United Kingdom', does this category apply to divorced or separated spouse only? Can I possibly come back to UK in the future through this path?

Question Three:
What if I'll try and get a job at an international organisation of which the UK is a member in China? Or be employed by a company or association established in the UK in China? Will that possibly satisfy the '2 year' criterion?

Question Four:
Another option on top of my head is, when I get to UK this time, I'll sit in the 'life in the UK' test which does not seem to be too difficult for me and start to apply for ILE on basis of living abroad for 4 years with my british spouse. Would that be a practical solution? Do I need to be out of the UK continuous for 4 years in this route?

Question Five:
Is it possible for a stateless child apply for a British passport because it is born to a British citizen who is not born in the UK? I'm worried that possibly will be my baby's situation if we cannot go to UK this time...

Sorry for the lengthy questions... And waiting eagerly for more replys :D

OK Victoria I'll write to you. Thank you so much indeed!!

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:57 pm

You have posed some tough questions there and I will try my best to get to them. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will get to it. Using your own numbering to answer:-

1) It is totally OK for you to be here and maintain the residence while he is abroad for some time every few months. Do collect ample proof that he did indeed have his residence here in the UK during the 2 years including proof of employment.

2) AFAIK, that particular visa is only for people who are divorced or seperated from the BC national/resident and the child is resident in the UK with the other parent but is given access rights to by the court. So, I guess unless it all comes together, that option is out for the time being atleast.

3) While that might have been enough if you were on a work permit and getting paid in a UK account and paying UK taxes, again, AFAIK, that is not enough to prove enough for the spouse visa.

4) The 4 years needed for the ILE should indeed be outside the UK. This makes me wonder. Why did you not apply for a visit visa to appear for the Life in UK test, give birth and then get back and apply for the ILE.... in 2010? Do you really want to complicate everything that much?

5) I do not think so. But then again, I am not JAJ.
Jabi

sveika
Newly Registered

Post by sveika » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:33 am

Oh thank you very much indeed Jabi, as for your answer 4), my reply is that:

i): The UK customs may very possibly stop a visitor in late pregnancy (at least for a Chinese citizen, as far as I know).
ii): The charge from hospitals for a visitor would be too much for us to bear.

About Question Two, I only wanted to explore if it can also work for married couples as well... :D