ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport Revoked

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Thisgirlcan
Newly Registered

British Passport Revoked

Post by Thisgirlcan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi, I'm currently going through the process of having my British passport revoked. Sometime last year my sister received a letter from the home office saying her passport has been revoked on the grounds that it had been obtained on her behalf on the grounds of fraud. Fortunately she was able to resolve her issue quickly as she
was born in the UK. My case on the other hand is more difficult as I wasn't born here I have been here for 31 years as I came into the UK when I was 4months. We were at the time given our passports when our father became naturalised and had held the passports for over 20years. I would really be grateful if I could get some advice on how to go about it as I'm aware that the rules and regulations have changed and to obtain an ILR has become increasingly difficult to obtain now.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: British Passport Revoked

Post by Amber » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:45 pm

Were you never registered as British? A passport is just a travel document so what really matters is whether you are actually British, or not. I assume that the SoS/HMPS is arguing that the Passport was given to you in error?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Thisgirlcan
Newly Registered

Post by Thisgirlcan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:58 pm

Hi Amber, I don't think I was registered. My dad was naturalised when I was 6 or 7 and he included my sister and I as his children so I've had a passport since then. I don't think I was registered on my own, my sister was able to register herself as an adult and was able to reapply for her passport. I don't know what the case is for me as I wasn't born here and wasn't granted any leave apart from the passport I had.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:40 pm

So why has this come to light? Did your Father use fraudulent means to gain citizenship - where is the element of fraud emanating from?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:02 am

vinny wrote:However, see also 6.3.9 and 12.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:13 am

Thisgirlcan wrote:Hi Amber, I don't think I was registered. My dad was naturalised when I was 6 or 7 and he included my sister and I as his children so I've had a passport since then. I don't think I was registered on my own, my sister was able to register herself as an adult and was able to reapply for her passport. I don't know what the case is for me as I wasn't born here and wasn't granted any leave apart from the passport I had.
It was possible (snapshot) to include children in parent's naturalisation AN form at that time.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Thisgirlcan
Newly Registered

Post by Thisgirlcan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:16 am

Fraud on the grounds that my mother was not a British citizen at the time that the passport was given to us.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:29 am

Did your father and mother apply for British citizenships at different times?

Can you give a timeline of the ANs and passports applications for all of you?

Thisgirlcan
Newly Registered

Post by Thisgirlcan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:30 am

My sister had a baby and applied for a passport for her daughter, we didn't get any news back until 6 weeks later stating that her passport had been revoked. My mum was granted her ILR 6 years ago and my parents were separated from each other during that time. But it was my dad that applied for our passports not my mum. It's all confusing because as it stands I have no valid leave to remain. I'm trying to gather my primary school, secondary school and university records as well my medical records to prove that I have been here all my life.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:32 am

Was your father married to your mother?

Thisgirlcan
Newly Registered

Post by Thisgirlcan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:34 am

Yes they did my dad was granted his stay when I was 7, my mum on the other hand was refused and had to go to court. She was then granted her stay. By that time my parents had separated so she was unable to get her stay using his status.

Thisgirlcan
Newly Registered

Post by Thisgirlcan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:37 am

No my parents were not married they separated from each other in 1989.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:41 am

I think it was possible that your father had included you in his AN application. Else, the links in my previous post may be also be helpful to you.

Thisgirlcan
Newly Registered

Post by Thisgirlcan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:44 am

Hi, yes we got our passports in 1991/1992.

Thisgirlcan
Newly Registered

Post by Thisgirlcan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:46 am

Thank you very much Vinny, will have a look at them.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:05 am

Thisgirlcan wrote:I don't know what the case is for me as I wasn't born here and wasn't granted any leave apart from the passport I had.
That doesn't sound likely. What was your nationality? Have you found the passport you entered on?

Thisgirlcan
Newly Registered

Post by Thisgirlcan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:23 am

Hi, I came to the country in 1984 with my aunt who has now passed.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:16 pm

Thisgirlcan wrote:Hi, I came to the country in 1984 with my aunt who has now passed.
Are you able to ask your parents for any information. Perhaps they have their previous passports or know something to go by in terms of how your aunt entered the UK with you? And if you were subsequently listed in either your fathers or mothers passports as dependants?

As the previous poster has suggested, it seems unlikely that you had no leave - at least when entering the country.

As far as I'm aware, even when entering the country as an infant, you would have been included as a child/dependent in a parents/guardians passport (My first entry into the UK was as a infant & was as a dependent on my mothers passport). Perhaps a SAR (subject access request) would help you find out more, though I don't personally know how far back HO immigration records would go.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:25 pm

Ask your father if he had included you in his naturalisation application. When was he granted British citizenship?

Thisgirlcan
Newly Registered

Post by Thisgirlcan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:33 pm

Hi, I was a dependent on my mothers passport. I didn't have my own, however my dad did include my siblings and I when he applied to be naturalised. But the passport I got through him was cancelled on the grounds that it was obtained on my behalf fraudulently, as my mother was not British at the time. My dad's stay however was not affected it is totally fine, its just my siblings and I that had ours revoked.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:38 pm

Thisgirlcan wrote:Hi, I was a dependent on my mothers passport. I didn't have my own, however my dad did include my siblings and I when he applied to be naturalised. But the passport I got through him was cancelled on the grounds that it was obtained on my behalf fraudulently, as my mother was not British at the time. My dad's stay however was not affected it is totally fine, its just my siblings and I that had ours revoked.
Seems harsh as you were minors at the time and not responsible for a responsible adult's actions on your behalf.
You would have been incapable of consenting to such an act too.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Thisgirlcan
Newly Registered

Post by Thisgirlcan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:11 pm

Exactly, it all seems quite bizzare to be honest. I've spoken to a solicitor so we're now in the process of applying for my stay.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:00 pm

Thisgirlcan wrote:Hi, I was a dependent on my mothers passport. I didn't have my own, however my dad did include my siblings and I when he applied to be naturalised. But the passport I got through him was cancelled on the grounds that it was obtained on my behalf fraudulently, as my mother was not British at the time. My dad's stay however was not affected it is totally fine, its just my siblings and I that had ours revoked.
That is both harsh and strange; why have they suddenly established this fact of fraud after the amount of time that has passed? Was it all triggered by a passport application being submitted for your sisters child? Which has resulted in both of your passports being revoked?

Either way, it appears that the HO are now penalising you for an decision error they made over 2 decades ago on a naturalisation application submitted by your father.

Thisgirlcan
Newly Registered

Post by Thisgirlcan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:16 pm

Yes, it was revoked after my sister tried applying for her daughter's passport. She was told that her daughter was not entitled to a British passport and that her own passport had been revoked. After that, my brother was stopped on his way back from Spain and I was stopped at Heathrow on my way back from Lagos.

Thisgirlcan
Newly Registered

Post by Thisgirlcan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:27 pm

My passport was taken away from me and I was given temporary admission into the UK.