ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born to settled EEA national

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kaba

Child born to settled EEA national

Post by Kaba » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi guys,

I just want to ask something that is not so clear to me.

When I received my permanent residence certificate as an EEA national, I did receive also something like a cover letter explaining my rights from now on. It does say that if I have a child born in the UK, it might become automatically a British Citizen.

At the same time I was checking the MN1 form, which is for children to be registered as a British Citizen when they are younger than 18 years old. The application does cost around £750.

Basically what I would like to ask is: when the Home Office said that my child might become automatically a British Citizen, does it mean that I do have to apply for my child via the MN1 application form, or is there another quicker way which might save me from spending £750 :).

Thank you very much in advance. Every advice/opinion is very much appreciated.

Thanks

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Child born to settled EEA national

Post by ohara » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:47 pm

MN1 in this scenario is for a child born in the UK where neither parent is settled. The child is not automatically British but is eligible to register as a British citizen on MN1 once at least one parent is settled.

A child born in the UK when at least one of the parents is already settled will automatically be a British citizen in most circumstances :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:48 pm

If your child is born AFTER you got PR and is born WITHIN the UK, the child is automatically British and you can apply for a child passport directly.

If the child is born abroad, the child is not British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Kaba

Post by Kaba » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:06 pm

Hi guys,

I see what you mean.

Yes the child will be born in the UK after I got the permanent residence.

But what I cannot clearly understand is HOW I can apply directly for a passport for my future child. I mean the procedure...There must be an application form to fill out or something like that. I can't find any application form online.

Does anybody know the exact steps maybe that I will have to follow?

Thanks for your help

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:28 pm

Edited: seems you can only get the form from the post office now :!:
Last edited by ohara on Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:32 pm

@ohara, what is date of that form? - doesn't look like the one my wife used approx a year ago.

Latest copies (plus guidance notes) available from Post Office of course.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Kaba wrote:But what I cannot clearly understand is HOW I can apply directly for a passport for my future child. I mean the procedure...There must be an application form to fill out or something like that. I can't find any application form online.
Pick up a passport application form from the Post Office, complete it and send it with the supporting documents. The form comes in an envelope with guidance notes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:24 pm

ohara wrote:Edited: seems you can only get the form from the post office now :!:
What's going wrong at the page pointed to by https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport ?

Kaba

Post by Kaba » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:12 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the help.

I still have some months until it is born :) But I will check the office as you suggested :).

Thanks