ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR PEO Appointment - P800 and Self Assessment questions

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

worriedsoul
Newly Registered

ILR PEO Appointment - P800 and Self Assessment questions

Post by worriedsoul » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:19 pm

Hi All,

I have my ILR PEO appointment on 5 March 2015 at Croydon. I am working as a Limited Company director from April 2013 onwards. I was a full time permanent employee for 2 years before than. So my fist extension in 2012 was a straight forward one, second extension in March 2014 was via limited company salary + dividends. All good till here. Apologies for the long story below, but I am having sleepless nights because of this. I hope someone can give me some positive thoughts!!

In the financial year April 6 2013 to April 05 2014, I was employed by company as the Director. However for the first month i.e. April 2013 I was also employed by my previous employer. When I started work from my Limited Company I had not yet received a P45 from previous employer. At the end of the year, my accountant generated a P60 which only had employment details from my company and unfortunately only this income was declared on my Self-Assessment for 2013-2014. All income from the company (salary of £9439 + dividend of £33333) was accurately declared on the Self-Assessment form and same was declared on extension application as well, so I am not deceiving anyone here. I paid the tax amount of £223.73 as calculated by my accountant on the income declared.

The oversight on my part was excluding the previous employment from April 2013 (overlap of 1 month) as I only referred to my P60 while filling the form. Please note that the tax for the previous employment (£342.40) has been paid via PAYE by the previous employer (This is reflected on the HMRC employment history record). In Sept 2014, my accountant received a letter from HMRC with tax calculation and underpaid tax notice for £305.68. The tax calculation from HMRC showed the total salary from both employments. I have duly paid the tax amount of £305.68 on 15 Oct 2014 via check payment (account debited on 23 Oct 2014). HMRC have confirmed receipt of this underpayment. As I paid the underpaid tax, I assumed that everything is in order. I recently telephoned HMRC to check if anything else needs to be done and they said nothing more is required as they would have written a letter to me if that was the case.
However on checking with my accountant recently, I was advised that I will need to submit an amended Self-Assessment for the year 2013-2014 as the previous employment was not included in the first return although the underpaid tax has been paid. Now I have only 2 days left for my PEO appointment, should I send an ammended tax return for that year or would it be worth taking a risk and going ahead with the PEO appointment as is?

mian1

Re: ILR PEO Appointment - P800 and Self Assessment questions

Post by mian1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:40 pm

I think if you login to hmrc website by your details
You will be able to amend this year quick
For 2013-14
Because it's still in amendable time frame.
And easy to amend

worriedsoul
Newly Registered

Post by worriedsoul » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:43 pm

Unfortunately, I cannot amend online as the deadline for 2013-2014 was Jan 2016. I am one month late in realizing the mistake and hence need to submit paper amendment. But I'm wondering if this amendment is required in the first place as HMRC already know about my initial salaried employment?

mian1

Post by mian1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:45 pm

Login you account of hmrc
And check your full tax calculation for 2013-14
If it's showing total in that calculation.
Because you paid to hmrc so might be hmrc updated in full calculation
Or you already checked their and it's not their...

worriedsoul
Newly Registered

Post by worriedsoul » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:56 pm

Thank you for your response, however both my tax year overview and SA302 only show the initial tax amounts paid. They dont reflect the second payment made. I have however contacted HMRC and asked them to send me a letter that the payment has been applied to my account, but the lady on the phone was not sure if SA302 will be updated.

mian1

Post by mian1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:42 pm

Try to Ring Them if HMRC update on Self Assessment Calculation and that will be good. because after that you will be able to get a Print from Your HMRC Account. For your Full Tax Calculations.
even its very hard to work with HMRC and HO. now its all ok on HMRC side but no one can say where HO will Look.
On your Self Assessment Record
Or on Your Employment History.

Even if you have only one job and your salary is below Lower Earning Limit like say 111 Pounds a Week employer don't need to register for PAYE and no need to report any thing to HMRC for that amount paid a year about £5880 a year.
but if HO check that even i don't know how they will treat that.
its all legal
Best of Luck for your big day.
GOD give you Success.
very best of

worriedsoul
Newly Registered

Post by worriedsoul » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:34 pm

Thank you for your wishes. Just wanted to let you know that I had my ILR approved yesterday at the PEO appointement. Did not have time to send the SA amendment however I took a risk as all my taxes were in order and HMRC had confirmed that I do not owe anything.