ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NO British Passport.. yet

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ibraa

NO British Passport.. yet

Post by ibraa » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:25 pm

Dear Fellow Members!

Following a successful naturalisation, I applied for my first British Passport. I have slightly changed the spelling of my forename using deed poll. I do not have any other passports, from any countries.

I had my interview on 15 February 2016 and the guy conducting the interview told that my passport should be with me in 5 working days.

It still hasn't arrived and ever since the interview when I call the HMPO, I am being told that they are performing 'routine checks' and cannot give me any further update and I should be patient..

As I was really frustrated, I contacted my local MP, who has been told by HMPO that they are 'undertaking further checks, but the nature of these checks cannot be disclosed for security reasons and they will contact me in due course'. Very secretive, huh?

Just to confirm, I had no criminal record in the UK or elsewhere and baffled by their secretive, yet inconvenient practice..

Anyone else has been in the same shoes? Any advice, stories, etc.?

I am very upset, as I feel that I am being kept in the dark and treated like a criminal..

Thanks for your responses in advance!

noajthan

Re: Interview 3 weeks ago - NO British Passport..

Post by noajthan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:43 pm

ibraa wrote:Dear Fellow Members!

Following a successful naturalisation, I applied for my first British Passport. I have slightly changed the spelling of my forename using deed poll. I do not have any other passports, from any countries.

I had my interview on 15 February 2016 and the guy conducting the interview told that my passport should be with me in 5 working days.

It still hasn't arrived and ever since the interview when I call the HMPO, I am being told that they are performing 'routine checks' and cannot give me any further update and I should be patient..

As I was really frustrated, I contacted my local MP, who has been told by HMPO that they are 'undertaking further checks, but the nature of these checks cannot be disclosed for security reasons and they will contact me in due course'. Very secretive, huh?

Just to confirm, I had no criminal record in the UK or elsewhere and baffled by their secretive, yet inconvenient practice..

Anyone else has been in the same shoes? Any advice, stories, etc.?

I am very upset, as I feel that I am being kept in the dark and treated like a criminal..

Thanks for your responses in advance!
If it makes you feel better its not personal (how can it be, nobody in HMPO knows you);
its a government department so you can expect to be treated in a somewhat perfunctory and offhand way.

If anyone in HMPO has questions for you be assured you will be contacted; otherwise its just a case of sitting tight.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:54 am

HMPO only issues passports as per the name in your foreign passport, If you change your name and those changes are not reflected on your foreign passport then HMPO may not issue a British passport.

Best policy is to refrain from changing names till you get your first British passport but too late for you I guess. All you can do now is wait
Manka

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Second passport interview? Anyone had similar?

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:16 pm

Is it really just because my surname and first name suggests that I am a muslim?
This would be discrimination, so no, I do not think this is the case.

There have been others, very few, but mostly due to English language difficulties during the interview.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:34 pm

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

I am half British and English is my native language, so I don't think that would have been the problem..

Therefore, I know it would be discrimination, but I cannot think of anything else. They may call it 'national security', but still..

I went to school here, university, worked here, got married here, my children were born here..

If the sole purpose of the passport interview is to make sure it's me, having given the correct answer to all their questions should have been adequate..
CR001 wrote:
Is it really just because my surname and first name suggests that I am a muslim?
This would be discrimination, so no, I do not think this is the case.

There have been others, very few, but mostly due to English language difficulties during the interview.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:39 pm

ibraa wrote:If the sole purpose of the passport interview is to make sure it's me, having given the correct answer to all their questions should have been adequate..
All you can do really is take up the invitation.

It may be something as simple as they have mislaid the file from initial interview.
Or may be a certain percentage sample size is called back for a second time.

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:42 pm

True, however they told me that they will undertake further checks before offering me the 2nd interview..

I feel I'm being treated like a criminal just for wanting to get a passport.

The guy on the phone told me that I will have to have the same name in my National ID (EU), Passport (EU) and my UK Passport. I told him that I don't have any other passports or ID cards. He then said "Then why did you say otherwise on your interview?" WTF?? :evil:

I have definitely not said that, I am not stupid. I haven't had a passport for ages, let alone an ID card..

Is it possible they are just taking the piss? I know that all interviews are recorded, so there should be proof of what has been said..

Any ideas??

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:04 pm

ibraa wrote:True, however they told me that they will undertake further checks before offering me the 2nd interview..

I feel I'm being treated like a criminal just for wanting to get a passport.

The guy on the phone told me that I will have to have the same name in my National ID (EU), Passport (EU) and my UK Passport. I told him that I don't have any other passports or ID cards. He then said "Then why did you say otherwise on your interview?" WTF?? :evil:

I have definitely not said that, I am not stupid. I haven't had a passport for ages, let alone an ID card..

Is it possible they are just taking the piss? I know that all interviews are recorded, so there should be proof of what has been said..

Any ideas??
Don't take it personally, you can be sure you are being treated impersonally.

Maybe caseworker is confusing you with someone else from the same day &/or with a similar name.
Or you misunderstood some identity question &/or they misunderstood your answer.
If you have any other id (that helps your case) suggest take it with you.

HO is hot on names & identities - my wife was initially refused her passport just for the 'crime' (as a married lady) of applying in married name & having another passport in her maiden name.
That took around 4 months to sort out.

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:05 pm

Good prospects, as I've foolishly wanted to change my name and sent along a deed poll with my passport application .. :oops:
noajthan wrote:
Don't take it personally, you can be sure you are being treated impersonally.

Maybe caseworker is confusing you with someone else from the same day &/or with a similar name.
Or you misunderstood some identity question &/or they misunderstood your answer.
If you have any other id (that helps your case) suggest take it with you.

HO is hot on names & identities - my wife was initially refused her passport just for the 'crime' (as a married lady) of applying in married name & having another passport in her maiden name.
That took around 4 months to sort out.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:37 pm

ibraa wrote:Good prospects, as I've foolishly wanted to change my name and sent along a deed poll with my passport application .. :oops:
Sounds like the interview is simply to clarify your intentions and use of your name/s.
Nothing more 'sinister' than that.

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:55 pm

Thanks for the reassurance, I really hope that's all they want to know. It's just bad timing, as I need a passport in the very near future..
noajthan wrote:
Sounds like the interview is simply to clarify your intentions and use of your name/s.
Nothing more 'sinister' than that.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:23 pm

ibraa wrote:The guy on the phone told me that I will have to have the same name in my National ID (EU), Passport (EU) and my UK Passport. I told him that I don't have any other passports or ID cards. He then said "Then why did you say otherwise on your interview?" WTF?? :evil:

Any ideas??
Perhaps the questions and answers weren't recorded accurately. From your original post, it seems that you weren't born here, so what did you tell them had happened to the passport on which you entered the UK?

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:30 pm

I've told that I've lost it.. Which is true.. And they took a note of that. But now the examiner said that they recorded it otherwise.
Richard W wrote: Perhaps the questions and answers weren't recorded accurately. From your original post, it seems that you weren't born here, so what did you tell them had happened to the passport on which you entered the UK?

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:23 pm

He did state he has no foreign passports :?

ibraa

Passport Application taking over 12 weeks..

Post by ibraa » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:12 am

Hi there!

I have applied for my first British passport following my naturalisation in January.

My application is still in the phase of 'undertaking routine checks'..

It's been over 12 weeks now and the HMPO fails to give me any update.

Anyone else has been in a similar situation, then received their passport?

tripping

Re: Passport Application taking over 12 weeks..

Post by tripping » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:55 am

Passport applications could take up to 6 weeks, but 12 is unusually long. There could be a number of reasons for this. Have you had your interview done?

I would get the MP involved in this, think you have waited long enough. I gather you received no text messages, letters at all apart from 'undertaking routine checks'?

leavetoremain

Post by leavetoremain » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:57 am

Wondering if you had any name change or convictions since applying for the passport?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: NO British Passport.. yet

Post by geriatrix » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:38 pm

Keep your passport queries in a single topic.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:10 pm

tripping wrote:Passport applications could take up to 6 weeks, but 12 is unusually long. There could be a number of reasons for this. Have you had your interview done?

I would get the MP involved in this, think you have waited long enough. I gather you received no text messages, letters at all apart from 'undertaking routine checks'?
I already asked my MP to step in. She has been told the same. Checks are being undertaken, which cannot be disclosed. Other than that, no information was given..

I have no criminal record, sent in my old passport to prove my identity and my naturalisation certificate to prove my eligibility..