ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for adoptee if Irish father not on birth cert?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Iolanthe73
Newly Registered

Citizenship for adoptee if Irish father not on birth cert?

Post by Iolanthe73 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:00 pm

Hello,

I was born in England, adopted in Scotland and live in Canada. I obtained my original birth details some time ago and my birth father is Irish, born in Ireland (as were both his parents, grandparents etc). He is not named on my English birth certificate but completely accepts he is my father.
I would like to apply for Irish citizenship by descent through him but my problems are these:-

- from my online research, I am already considered a citizen and therefore there is nothing to apply for other than a passport. Does the fact that he is my birth father not legal father mean I am not considered a citizen after all?

- I have nothing official to show he is my father. I can't get him added to my English birth certificate as my mother won't cooperate, and I can't petition an English court as I am resident in Canada

Is DNA my only route? How should I go about it, send a DNA test result with my passport application?

Many thanks for all pointers.

Iolanthe73
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship for adoptee if Irish father not on birth cer

Post by Iolanthe73 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:23 pm

Anyone know? Still haven't managed to get any replies from the citizenship office other than telling me to ask the passport office, and the passport people just refer me to their website which has no information to cover my scenario :( Grateful for any input.