ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Student Loan Inquiry

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

leeastrid
Newly Registered

ILR Student Loan Inquiry

Post by leeastrid » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:13 am

Hi there,

I have been reading through various forums and I would like to know the following if anybody can help me?

My situation as follows:
- Australian citizen recently married to a British citizen
- Granted ILR
- Previously lived in the UK on a Tier 5 Work Mobility working holiday visa from 2011-2013
- We moved back to Australia so my partner completed their 1 year AUS working holiday visa (2014)
- Moved to Canada both for one year a working holiday visa (AUS & UK equivalent) (2015 - currently here)

I currently have a BA and a Post graduate degree and would like to continue studies my studies in the UK. I am almost positive I am not eligible to apply for a student loan under home student but I would like to clarify nonetheless. Would my 2 years in the UK in 2012-2014 be counted if/when I would apply for student loan? or are the rules 3 consecutive years in the UK before I can even think of applying? Or is this inadequate as I read somewhere student loans are not provided for Master and PHD's.

I only ask this as I plan to become an educational psychologist and there are certain limited pathways in becoming one.

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR Student Loan Inquiry

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:37 am

Are you in Canada now?

When did you get ILR?

How long have you been away from the UK?

You won't qualify for student finance (if available for that level which I doubt). The 3 years residence is at the date you start your first semester.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: ILR Student Loan Inquiry

Post by Greenie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:59 pm

student loans are not currently available for post graduate courses although from September they will be available for masters courses (not phds). there are no government loans for phds. on the information given you would also not be pay home fees for a PhD as you need to be ordinarily resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to the start of the course. confused as to how you have ILR if you have only lived in the UK for 2 years on a tier 5 visa?