ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is my 10 years continuity broken?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CathyJ16
Newly Registered

Is my 10 years continuity broken?

Post by CathyJ16 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:38 pm

I qualify to apply for ILR based on 10 years this coming June. My current Visa expires a few days after clocking 10 years in the UK.

However am terribly horrified of facing a refusal. My immigration history has all been fine apart from one refusal in 2014 when I applied for extension for student visa. The refusal was due insufficient maintenance fund. I appealed on time, within working 10 days. However, after having sourced enough funds, I was advised to withdraw the appeal (4 months after refusal) and submit a fresh application, there and then (same day). The subsequent application was successful.

I have been to three lawyers so far, two of them say my 10 years was broken the very day I withdraw the appeal as I should have let the appeal to run its course. However, before giving up, I decided to try a barrister, after going through my case, he says there is still hope, according to him my 10 years is still intact.

Am very confused,I don't want to spend alot on this issue and end up being heart broken by a refusal. Some have advised I keep the little savings am left with for use when I return to my home country as chances are slim with ILR but the latest barrister is adamant I will get it.

Please kindly advise, do I stand any chance? I have gone through loads of postings on this forum but I have not been lucky enough to find a case similar to mine. Please help!

vinny

Re: Is my 10 years continuity broken?

Post by vinny » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:56 pm

Good chances.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

CathyJ16
Newly Registered

Post by CathyJ16 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:16 am

vinny wrote:Good chances.
Thanks Vinny, any other links where we have had success stories already under similar situation?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:25 am

Here's one.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

CathyJ16
Newly Registered

Post by CathyJ16 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:22 pm

vinny wrote:Here's one.
Thanks Vinny.

Any second opinion from anyone please?

Thanks

Great77

Post by Great77 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:41 pm

There are chances you will get it because you applied within 28 days after your withdrawal and the application was successful afterward. That means the period you withdraw and applied till the time you were granted your visa will be counted as legal. Read this link below and page 28 they said if not exceed 28 days.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... .0_EXT.pdf

and also the law is quoted here for you.
"276B wrote:
(v) the applicant must not be in the UK in breach of immigration laws except that any period of overstaying for a period of 28 days or less will be disregarded, as will any period of overstaying between periods of entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain of up to 28 days and any period of overstaying pending the determination of an application made within that 28 day period.
Great

CathyJ16
Newly Registered

Post by CathyJ16 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:42 pm

Great77 wrote:There are chances you will get it because you applied within 28 days after your withdrawal and the application was successful afterward. That means the period you withdraw and applied till the time you were granted your visa will be counted as legal. Read this link below and page 28 they said if not exceed 28 days.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... .0_EXT.pdf

and also the law is quoted here for you.
"276B wrote:
(v) the applicant must not be in the UK in breach of immigration laws except that any period of overstaying for a period of 28 days or less will be disregarded, as will any period of overstaying between periods of entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain of up to 28 days and any period of overstaying pending the determination of an application made within that 28 day period.
Great77,
Great stuff, thanks a million times for this data, it has given me alot of hope!

Will keep you posted on the issue.

Thanks.

bigben1982
United Kingdom

Post by bigben1982 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi CathyJ16,
Could you please give some updates about how your ILR application went through?
I am going through a same "withdarawn appeal" situation and I am due for ILR through 10 years long term residency route this September.
Thanks.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:18 pm

bigben1982 wrote:Hi CathyJ16,
I am going through a same "withdarawn appeal" situation and I am due for ILR through 10 years long term residency route this September.
Thanks.
Your are unlikely to get a response. This member only posted 5 times and hasn't visited the forum since Mar 21, 2016, almost a year ago!
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

bigben1982
United Kingdom

Post by bigben1982 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Casa wrote:
bigben1982 wrote:Hi CathyJ16,
Thanks.
Your are unlikely to get a response. This member only posted 5 times and hasn't visited the forum since Mar 21, 2016, almost a year ago!
@casa Thanks for the reply.